SP3 Installation

• I just installed SP3 on Windows SErver 2003 SErvice Pack 2 Enterprise x64 Edition. and also reboot the server but when i check

select @@ version I still see this result

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.4028.00 (X64) Oct 20 2008 19:33:01 Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)

• It sounds like you may have installed cumulative update 10 or higher before applying the service pack. There was a bit in the release notes about having to apply the cumulative updates up to sp3 because it would no longer do so automatically.

• Do you mean to say that I have to apply cumulative updates to the point before SP3?

Even before i applied SP3 it was showing this

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.4028.00 (X64) Oct 20 2008 19:33:01 Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)

But when i check in the Add/Remove Programs from control panel it shows that SP3 is installed as latetst updates.

Now, what can i do so that when i do " select @@version" I wud like to see my SP3 in there.

• I was actually incorrect. There is a SP3 CU1 for those that want the SP2 CU10 and CU11 fixes.

What you are seeing sounds more like the install may have failed on one particular part but ignored the failure. I saw this a lot with SP2 because I had a bug in a DDL trigger I had created. There is a log file generated by the service pack that can tell you exactly what went wrong. I cannot remember the exact location but you can probably find it by searching for it by modified date.

• Just to be sure, the

Build 3790: Service Pack 2

has nothing to do with SQL but with Windows Server.

Have you checked your version with the SERVERPROPERTY function?

Wilfred
    The best things in life are the simple things

• when i checked on the server property at Version i see this

• Ok I think SP3 was sucess fully installed. when i check

select serverproperty ('productlevel') it gives me SP3.

Now I would to test this server after SP3 and then want to install it on other servers. How can i do some testing on it.

• I had a similar issue and found the following query helpful.

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('productversion') as [Product Version], SERVERPROPERTY ('productlevel') [Service Pack], SERVERPROPERTY ('edition') as [Edition]

• when i checked on the server property at Version i see this

Nope, 3042 isn't SP3, it's SP2. SP3 should give 9.00.4035 (just installed SP3)

See this link http://www.sqlsecurity.com/FAQs/SQLServerVersionDatabase/tabid/63/Default.aspx for all SQL versions

Wilfred

• Interesting:

4028 isn't on this SQL version list, maybe you installed a CTP version?

Try download and install SP3 again from microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ae7387c3-348c-4faa-8ae5-949fdfbe59c4&DisplayLang=en)

Wilfred

• :satisfied: Thank you for posting this. Would have wasted half a day due to confusion about which software the SP referred to in @@VERSION.

Your query showed SQL was at SP3.

How do I spell relief? = SQLServerCentral

Noted in another thread that Microsoft reads some suggestions from here.

Think we could get them to improve @@VERSION to show user friendly info about SQL?

Why it explains Windows but not SQL is boggling.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply