Sorting in order of my choice

• In the below code I want to sort by 'M' first and then sort by 'S' and then by other value.

create table name
    (person_name varchar(200));

insert into name values('Vadivel');
    insert into name values('Muniyan');
    insert into name values('Saravanan');
    insert into name values('Raj');
    insert into name values('Santhosh');

What I tried so far  mentioned below:

select person_name from name
    order by
    case
    when substring(person_name,1,1)='M' then 1
    when substring(person_name,1,1)='S' then 2
    else 3
    end

Desired Output:

person_name
    Muniyan
    Saravanan
    Santhosh
    Vadivel
    Raj

Is there any alternative or efficient query to write the above requirement.

Saravanan

• You could make it more succinct by using LEFT, but it's probably as efficient as you're going to get. Are you suffering performance issues with the ORDER BY then?

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Sunday, October 7, 2018 3:02 AM

You could make it more succinct by using LEFT, but it's probably as efficient as you're going to get. Are you suffering performance issues with the ORDER BY then?

Thanks thorn. This was one of the questions asked in interview.  I don't about the performances. Can anyone kindly update me whether Left(column,1)
    or substring(column,1,1) performs better?

Saravanan

• saravanatn - Sunday, October 7, 2018 5:02 AM

Thom A - Sunday, October 7, 2018 3:02 AM

You could make it more succinct by using LEFT, but it's probably as efficient as you're going to get. Are you suffering performance issues with the ORDER BY then?

Thanks thorn. This was one of the questions asked in interview.  I don't about the performances. Can anyone kindly update me whether Left(column,1)

Not sure there will be much (if any) difference. Best way to find out is try.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Few options, here are three of those
    😎

USE TEEST;
    GO
    SET NOCOUNT ON;

DECLARE @NAME TABLE
    (
      person_name VARCHAR(200) NOT NULL
     ,SORT_ORDER AS (CASE WHEN person_name LIKE 'M%' THEN 1 WHEN person_name LIKE 'S%' THEN 2 ELSE 3 END ) PERSISTED
    );
    -- CREATE NON CLUSTERED INDEX ON THE CALCULATED COLUMN THAT SUPPORTS THE SORT_ORDER
    INSERT INTO @NAME (person_name)
    VALUES
    ('Vadivel')
    ,('Muniyan')
    ,('Saravanan')
    ,('Raj')
    ,('Santhosh');
    -- USING SORT_ORDER
    SELECT
      NM.person_name
    FROM  @NAME NM
    ORDER BY NM.SORT_ORDER ASC
       ,NM.person_name ASC;

-- USING CASE
    SELECT
      NM.person_name
    FROM  @NAME NM
    ORDER BY
      CASE
       WHEN NM.person_name LIKE 'M%' THEN 1
       WHEN NM.person_name LIKE 'S%' THEN 2
       ELSE 3
      END ASC
     ,NM.person_name ASC;

-- USING LEFT
    SELECT
      NM.person_name
    FROM  @NAME NM
    ORDER BY
      CASE
       WHEN LEFT(NM.person_name,1) = 'M' THEN 1
       WHEN LEFT(NM.person_name,1) = 'S' THEN 2
       ELSE 3
      END ASC
     ,NM.person_name ASC;

Strongly recommend avoiding functions on the column, puts the compute scalar operator in front of the sort, effectively a blocking operation in the execution plan.

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Sunday, October 7, 2018 6:55 AM

Few options, here are three of those
    😎

USE TEEST;
    GO
    SET NOCOUNT ON;

DECLARE @NAME TABLE
    (
      person_name VARCHAR(200) NOT NULL
     ,SORT_ORDER AS (CASE WHEN person_name LIKE 'M%' THEN 1 WHEN person_name LIKE 'S%' THEN 2 ELSE 3 END ) PERSISTED
    );
    -- CREATE NON CLUSTERED INDEX ON THE CALCULATED COLUMN THAT SUPPORTS THE SORT_ORDER
    INSERT INTO @NAME (person_name)
    VALUES
    ('Vadivel')
    ,('Muniyan')
    ,('Saravanan')
    ,('Raj')
    ,('Santhosh');
    -- USING SORT_ORDER
    SELECT
      NM.person_name
    FROM  @NAME NM
    ORDER BY NM.SORT_ORDER ASC
       ,NM.person_name ASC;

-- USING CASE
    SELECT
      NM.person_name
    FROM  @NAME NM
    ORDER BY
      CASE
       WHEN NM.person_name LIKE 'M%' THEN 1
       WHEN NM.person_name LIKE 'S%' THEN 2
       ELSE 3
      END ASC
     ,NM.person_name ASC;

-- USING LEFT
    SELECT
      NM.person_name
    FROM  @NAME NM
    ORDER BY
      CASE
       WHEN LEFT(NM.person_name,1) = 'M' THEN 1
       WHEN LEFT(NM.person_name,1) = 'S' THEN 2
       ELSE 3
      END ASC
     ,NM.person_name ASC;

Strongly recommend avoiding functions on the column, puts the compute scalar operator in front of the sort, effectively a blocking operation in the execution plan.

Thanks Eirikur. As suggested by you created CREATE NON CLUSTERED INDEX ON THE CALCULATED COLUMN THAT SUPPORTS THE SORT_ORDER.

CREATE TABLE PRODUCTNAME
    (
    person_name VARCHAR(200) CONSTRAINT UX_person_name UNIQUE NONCLUSTERED NOT NULL
    );

Below is the  performance result for 10000 records:
    USING SORT_ORDER -->Table 'PRODUCTNAME'. Scan count 1, logical reads 56, physical reads 0, read-ahead reads 0, lob logical reads 0, lob physical reads 0, lob read-ahead reads 0.
    USING CASE -->Table 'PRODUCTNAME'. Scan count 1, logical reads 56, physical reads 0, read-ahead reads 0, lob logical reads 0, lob physical reads 0, lob read-ahead reads 0.
    USING LEFT -->Table 'PRODUCTNAME'. Scan count 1, logical reads 56, physical reads 0, read-ahead reads 0, lob logical reads 0, lob physical reads 0, lob read-ahead reads 0.

Sorted order :

Using Left:

Using Case:

Can anyone kindly help me to understand execution plan in general and  also in this scenario which one is  performing better?

Saravanan

• Thom A - Sunday, October 7, 2018 5:53 AM

saravanatn - Sunday, October 7, 2018 5:02 AM

Thom A - Sunday, October 7, 2018 3:02 AM

Not sure there will be much (if any) difference. Best way to find out is try.

Tried it Thorn.

Saravanan

• In this particular case - we can shorten it to:

Order By
          iif(left(person_name, 1) In ('M', 'S'), 0, 1)
        , person_name

However - the results here do not match the requested results.  The requested results show the S values sorted in descending order - but we don't have enough data to determine if all names should be sorted in descending order.  I am assuming that is not what was actually requested - but if so, then we would need further information. 

Should the sort be done by the first character putting M and S at top - with all others sorted by the first character in ascending order and the names sorted in descending order?

Order By
        , left(person_name, 1)
        , person_name desc

Many possibilities - depending on what was actually requested.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Jeffrey Williams 3188 - Sunday, October 7, 2018 11:40 AM

In this particular case - we can shorten it to:

Order By
        , person_name

However - the results here do not match the requested results.  The requested results show the S values sorted in descending order - but we don't have enough data to determine if all names should be sorted in descending order.  I am assuming that is not what was actually requested - but if so, then we would need further information. 

Should the sort be done by the first character putting M and S at top - with all others sorted by the first character in ascending order and the names sorted in descending order?

Order By
        , left(person_name, 1)
        , person_name desc

Many possibilities - depending on what was actually requested.

Should the sort be done by the first character putting M and S at top - with all others sorted by the first character in ascending order and the names sorted in descending order? --> Yes Jeffery in this scenario I need name which starts with 'M' to be sorted first and 'S' to be sorted second and for 'Remaining alphabet'  can be sorted with no specific order.

Saravanan

• saravanatn - Sunday, October 7, 2018 12:00 PM

Should the sort be done by the first character putting M and S at top - with all others sorted by the first character in ascending order and the names sorted in descending order? --> Yes Jeffery in this scenario I need name which starts with 'M' to be sorted first and 'S' to be sorted second and for 'Remaining alphabet'  can be sorted with no specific order.

In your original post,  the S values are sorted in descending order.  Is that correct?

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Jeffrey Williams 3188 - Sunday, October 7, 2018 12:09 PM

saravanatn - Sunday, October 7, 2018 12:00 PM

In your original post,  the S values are sorted in descending order.  Is that correct?

Yes your correct. I need order by person_name column as well.

Saravanan

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply