Someone else''s projects

• Sorry if this seems like a stupid simple question, but I'm mainly a designer not an ETL developer.

I was given a copy of someone else's packages to try to decipher his ETL rules (its undocumented and he's too busy *sigh*).  When I'm on the network at work it merely complains that I don't have permission to his server but moving from package to package is still OK performance-wise.  When I try to browse it when not at work, it takes a good 10 minutes to decide his server is not around and to put a little red X on the connections in question.

I got around the path problems when opening files by making the same exact path on my laptop as on his but how do I globally edit all the server connections?  They seem buried in various places but there must be a master editor somewhere...

They can just point to the SQL Express on my laptop for all I care; I'm not actually moving any data.  Just looking at the ETL logic.

Thanks for any help

• This is an annoyance.

Your best bet is to enable Work Offline. Menu > SSIS > Work Offline.

The problem with this is you have to wait for all the connections to time out because VS starts responding. Once set though, you can open and close the package without the DB available easily.

Cheers,CrispinI can't die, there are too many people who still have to meet me!It's not a bug, SQL just misunderstood me!

• Ah, wonderful!!  That did the trick.  I wish I had time to learn more how to operate 2005's etl abilities but alas, busy, busy, busy.

Thanks for the tip!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply