Software Assurance for SQL Server 2014 Enterprise

• I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row with licensing for a new SQL Server 2014 environment I am building. What seems to have bit us in the past here was the inability to upgrade to newer versions because we don't have SA. I thought I had a pretty good understanding of how it worked but I could use some input from anyone who's gone through this.

The SA has been included in the licensing cost we are purchasing. My question is is there an additional yearly cost to maintain it and how long is the coverage good for? My impression is that it was a one time cost and good for the life of the servers. Also if it helps theses are physical environments and Enterprise editions, I don't think that matters for my question though.

Thank you in advance,

Ken

• Ken Overton (3/30/2015)

I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row with licensing for a new SQL Server 2014 environment I am building. What seems to have bit us in the past here was the inability to upgrade to newer versions because we don't have SA. I thought I had a pretty good understanding of how it worked but I could use some input from anyone who's gone through this.

The SA has been included in the licensing cost we are purchasing. My question is is there an additional yearly cost to maintain it and how long is the coverage good for? My impression is that it was a one time cost and good for the life of the servers. Also if it helps theses are physical environments and Enterprise editions, I don't think that matters for my question though.

Thank you in advance,

Ken

Ken,

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/products/sql-server/purchasing.aspx

Download the licensing data sheet, it is clearly mentioned with 4 different scenarios with how you got or want to setup your sql servers, If it is highly virtualized servers and license the host and then it is recommended to have SA and it is covered. SA has to be renewed yearly BTW.

Licensing is different from vendor to vendor, i would recommend to talk to sales rep as best option.

[font="Tahoma"]
    --SQLFRNDZ[/url]
    [/font]

• SQLFRNDZ,

Thanks for the response. You answered the main point of my question about the SA being a yearly renewal. The SQL licensing I already understand pretty well and have worked that out I just wasn't sure about how SA worked. Meaning, I was under the impression SA was a one-time cost and not a yearly cost. So I guess I will work through this sheet and figure out what that cost might be.

Thanks

• Ken Overton (3/30/2015)

SQLFRNDZ,

Thanks for the response. You answered the main point of my question about the SA being a yearly renewal. The SQL licensing I already understand pretty well and have worked that out I just wasn't sure about how SA worked. Meaning, I was under the impression SA was a one-time cost and not a yearly cost. So I guess I will work through this sheet and figure out what that cost might be.

Thanks

We just got 2014 Expensive Enterprise Edition with SA as well. We pay the amount over 3 years, it's similar to a subscription. With SA you get a free failover (what we wanted, we are going to AGs) and can upgrade at any time, so when vNext comes out, you've already got your licenses covered.

Make sure you talk to your financial people, they may not want to go with SA as it's not considered an asset by some people since it's effectively a subscription. We had to get quotes for about 4 different scenarios (your vendor will LOVE to get those big numbers together for you, trust me) before deciding on the best decision for us and where we want to go. I highly suggest you talk to your vendor, they have people who specialize in SQL licensing and can help you out.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply