Snapshot Replication ON a database snapshot. Possible? Crazy?

• Ok guys, here is my scenario. I am looking to log ship several databases across a fair distance, and I want to be able to get a writeable copy of the data on the destination side for use in testing. What I was thinking was Log Shipping then because the database isn't really available I read that you COULD use a DB snapshot to get read-only access to it. Ok, thats half the battle, not I need to get a copy I can write to. So I was thinking snapshot replication on top of the DB snapshot. I have no idea if this is possible, my other thought was to use SSIS to copy the data from the snapshot into a local DB. I discounted the use of DB mirroring due to latency issues.

Thoughts/ideas/better implementations? Let me know.

CEWII

• I think I might have answered part of my own question:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189940.aspx

"In a log shipping configuration, database snapshots can be created only on the primary database, not on a secondary database. If you switch roles between the primary server instance and a secondary server instance, you must drop all the database snapshots before you can set the primary database up as a secondary database."

CEWII

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply