SnapShot Oracle - SQL

• Hi,

Everyone of us know that snapshots in Oracle and in SQL but with little difference:

In Oracle you can do snapshot on particular objects also you have option to refresh data at any time you want, but in SQL just full DB also any time you want!

Do we have any possibilities to make snapshot in one table or view not in full DB ( SQL )?!

I'm asking couz I hear for materialized view in Oracle and I create them in one Ora DB, it was interesting experience to work with MV but this option is not available in SQL just full db snapshot!

Partition is available in both technologies, but Materialized Views ...in SQL are missing!

Any info for that kind of views in SQL Server!?!

Dugi

============================================================
    SELECT YOUR PROBLEM FROM SSC.com WHERE PROBLEM DESCRIPTION =
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]

• You can try the indexed views feature of SQL server introduced in SQL Server 2000

SQL Server 2000 Unveils Another Path to Peak Performance

-----------------------------------------------------------[font=Arial Black]Time Is Money[/font][font=Arial Narrow]Calculating the Number of Business Hours Passed since a Point of Time[/url][/font][font=Arial Narrow]Calculating the Number of Business Hours Passed Between Two Points of Time[/font]

• Hmmm...indexed views I know but they are only for performance if you have lot of data...but it is not same functional as MV in Ora!

============================================================
    SELECT YOUR PROBLEM FROM SSC.com WHERE PROBLEM DESCRIPTION =
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]

• First you should define your requirement then work on finding a way how to do it in SQL Server. Just trying to find the equvalent of a feature in SQL Server just as it is available in Oracle should not be the goal. I think ultimately, these features are used to boost performance only.

-----------------------------------------------------------[font=Arial Black]Time Is Money[/font][font=Arial Narrow]Calculating the Number of Business Hours Passed since a Point of Time[/url][/font][font=Arial Narrow]Calculating the Number of Business Hours Passed Between Two Points of Time[/font]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply