Snaking columns

• I am trying to layout a report that has snaking columns.  This is a multi-column report that snakes from the bottom of one column to the top of the next, like a newspaper.  From what I have read, it is a matter of setting the report properties to the number of columns.  When I do this and drop a field name on the report it doesn't snake at all.  It just renders as a long list.  I have seen some forum responses that recommend calculating the specific record count per column and forcing the remainder to the next column.  Is this really the approach needed for SRS?  This simple task can be handled in Crystal no problem without doing my own calculations.

• You don't need to do any special calculations. Go to properties for the Body element of report and set the number of colums...that should be all that's required.

Keep in mind snaking columns will only be visible when you export to a format that supports this (i.e., Acrobat PDF). The default view when you preview reports is HTML, which doesn't support this.

• Thanks for your reply but this still doesn't work.  I created a new report and set the report properties for 3 columns.  The layout view then shows 3 pages wide with the second two grayed out as Column 2 and Column 3.  I added a list control to the layout and put a single field in it.  I rendered the report and exported to PDF.  What I get are 12 pages of single column data.

• Don't know if it would make a difference, but I have only created this kind of report using a table control, not the list control...have you tried it that way?

• I tried with a table control, same behavior.  Am I supposed drag the field name to the Column 2 and Column 3 areas also?  These are not able to accept any fields.

• OK, here's another thing to watch out for...

Make sure your table width is only say, 2 inches (for example)...not the entire width of the body, because it is actually the whole table, including any columns it contains that will snake, not individual columns within the table itself. Otherwise when it snakes, it may be going beyond the right margin of the body.

• I was thinking about that.  My report layout is landscape 11 x 8.5 and the one column table control is just 1.5 inches wide.  I have my one field name in the details section.  The report properties is still set to 3 columns.  What I'm expecting in my PDF export is three columns of data but it still exports a one column.  I also tried making my table control 3 columns but no luck.

• OK, one more thing, looking at one of my reports...

Shrink the body width down to the same width as your table. The report size should still be larger; for example, for a landscape orientation under the Report properties, PageSize would be set to 11in, 8.5in

• That did it.  My body width needed to be adjusted.  Thanks very much for your help.

• Regarding your snaking columns problem, I also had the same problem and was able to resolve it thru reading this thread.  However, I'm wondering, did you implement your report as a standard report or did you implement the multi-column report as a subreport and attempt to include it in another report (to get better headings produced).  I was able to get my (multi-column) subreport to 'snake' properly but when I try to include it as a subreport into another report, I see the 'single column' behavior again.

Thanks,

JWM

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply