GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[CullDetails](

[CullID] [bigint] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[TagID] [int] NOT NULL,

[Query] [ntext] COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NOT NULL,

[DocCount] [int] NOT NULL,

[IsDeleted] [bit] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_CullDetails_IsDeleted] DEFAULT ((0)),

[CreatedBy] [int] NOT NULL,

[CreatedDate] [datetime] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_CullDetails_CreatedDate] DEFAULT (getdate()),

[ModifiedBy] [int] NOT NULL,

[LastModifiedDate] [datetime] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_CullDetails_LastModifiedDate] DEFAULT (getdate()),

CONSTRAINT [PK_CullDetails] PRIMARY KEY NONCLUSTERED

(

[CullID] ASC

)WITH (IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF) ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY] TEXTIMAGE_ON [PRIMARY]

GO

USE [MyDB]

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[CullDetails] WITH CHECK ADD CONSTRAINT [FK_CullDetails_Tags] FOREIGN KEY([TagID])

REFERENCES [dbo].[Tags] ([TagID])

GO

(Query is an ntext rather than nvarchar because the contents are often well over 4000 chars, and may contain unicode data.) The Tags table it references is also a fairly simple table, with usually under 30 rows, for which TagID is an integer primary key clustered index.

I have two databases that have the same schema. In database A, this table contains 32 records and takes 65 seconds to query "select * from CullDetails". In database B, the table has 51 records and takes under 1 second to run the same query.

I have run a DBCC CHECKDB on the slow database and it found no errors.

I updated statistics, updated indexes, and full-text catalogs - no improvement.

When I turn statistics on for the queries on the two servers the main difference I see is in the LOB reads:

Database A:

Table 'CullDetails'. Scan count 1, logical reads 2, physical reads 0, read-ahead reads 0,

lob logical reads 6276, lob physical reads 0, lob read-ahead reads 2468.

Database B:

Table 'CullDetails'. Scan count 1, logical reads 2, physical reads 0,

read-ahead reads 0, lob logical reads 171, lob physical reads 0, lob read-ahead reads 0.

The sizes of the "Query" field row contents (the only text data that should be read as lob) are roughly the same in both databases.

When I run execution plans on both databases they are nearly identical and don't estimate that A should be slower than B.

Neither database or table is partitioned as far as I can tell.

Both databases have roughly the same physical size and both have underwent the "autogrowth" process.

Just for yucks, I tried changing the clustered index to TagID, that did not make any difference.

I am not sure where to go from here in determining what the problem is in database A. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

--
    Anye Mercy
    "Service Unavailable is not an Error" -- John, ENOM support
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -- Inigo Montoya in "Princess Bride"
    "Civilization exists by geologic consent, subject to change without notice." -- Will Durant

• I would suspect that if you remove the Query field from the select statement it would speed up almost immediately. I also suspect that if you look at the contents of the two fields that the slower one has a great deal more data in the field.

Dan

If only I could snap my figures and have all the correct indexes apear and the buffer clean and.... Start day dream here.

• I think you are right on both counts - at first glance it appeared that the contents of the Query fields in database B were about the same size but there are a few massive field sizes in database A.

I may just need to look at a strategy where I don't keep the query info in the database but just write a path to the query, and grab the individual text values as needed to display.

--
    Anye Mercy
    "Service Unavailable is not an Error" -- John, ENOM support
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -- Inigo Montoya in "Princess Bride"
    "Civilization exists by geologic consent, subject to change without notice." -- Will Durant

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply