Shut Down Your Network

• A new virus is spreading like wildfire. When we got an alert like this at J.D. Edwards on the network, there were times that email got shut down. We'd let mail queue up from the Internet, but internally we'd shut down our mail servers to prevent new infections. I'm sure most large companies, or even small ones for that matter, had similar policies during times of infection.

However I'm hoping that shutting down networks isn't something that starts to happen with this virus. You see this virus is spreading across mobile phones, and not just high end ones like the Cabir virus, which spread by Bluetooth. This latest virus appears to be able to spread using MMS to your contacts lists, reminiscent of some of the Outlook virii that did the same thing.

More than likely we'll start seeing response teams at all the cellular companies that can quickly shut down the specific messaging from phones that spreads the virus. I'm at least hoping that's what they'll do instead of shutting down particular phones. How'd you like to lose your cell service and then have to bring your phone to a store for "cleansing"?

In other news, CeBIT 2005 is underway in Germany and it's a geek dream vacation. There's been relatively little news so far, but with such a big audience, I'm sure we'll be seeing some cool gadgets announced soon.

Like this new monitor I'd like to ask my wife to get for my desk. Think I have a chance?

Steve Jones

• When you show her the monitor, also show her the link to the news story on that same page, "Health Scientist Says Laziness Lengthen Life"

http://weblog.physorg.com/news1280.html

Should be a slam dunk.

There is no "i" in team, but idiot has two.
  • And I almost ought a 60 inch recently. Guess I will just wait a bit longer for the 32 foot models and charge admission.

• I really don't know what the big deal is about large screen sizes.

The overhead projector at work has been giving me years of enjoyment while playing DOOM, QUAKE, DUKE NUKEM, etc... 

Nothing beats leaning back in the comfy boardroom chairs with your feet resting on the fine mahogany table

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• It didn't go down too well at my office either.

I only asked for a new monitor, which they would have agreed on, but not at the price of small house...

I am going to claim that the current monitor is causing my eye sight to fail and a new 7ft screen is a lot cheaper than the court costs. That should do my promotion prospects a world of good.

• How 'bout one of those puppies, only 3D? http://www.physorg.com/news3296.html

Signature is NULL

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply