Setup Replication using SQL Express as a publisher

• Hello,

I would like to setup a replication but in my case SQL Express edition is going to send the data to SQL Enterprise edition. SQL Server version is SQL 2008.

I heard that we are not able to use Express edition as a publisher but still we can do it by merge replication.

Please guide me how can I setup this? Help or link would be great.

Thanks

• No you cant use Express as Distributor.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms165686.aspx

Replication Considerations (SQL Server Express)

SQL Server 2008 R2

Other Versions

* SQL Server "Denali"

* SQL Server 2008

* SQL Server 2005

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express (SQL Server Express) can serve as a Subscriber for all types of replication, providing a convenient way to distribute data to client applications that use SQL Server Express. When using SQL Server Express in a replication topology, consider the following:

SQL Server Express cannot serve as a Publisher or Distributor.

For this release, subscriptions must be created through Transact-SQL or Replication Management Objects (RMO). For more information, see the following topics:

o

Replication Transact-SQL programming: How to: Create a Push Subscription (Replication Transact-SQL Programming) and How to: Create a Pull Subscription (Replication Transact-SQL Programming).

o

RMO programming: How to: Create a Push Subscription (RMO Programming) and How to: Create a Pull Subscription (RMO Programming).

SQL Server Express does not include the SQL Server Agent, which is typically used to run replication agents. If you use push subscription, replication agents run at the Distributor, which will be an instance of SQL Server, so there are options for synchronizing. But if you use a pull subscription, in which agents run at the Subscriber, you must synchronize the subscription by using Windows Synchronization Manager or RMO.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Thanks Henrico Bekker.

is it possible using merge replication?

Thanks

• If we can setup PULL subscription at Enterprise level & pull the data from Express edition, is it possible?

Thanks

• Hardy21 (1/6/2011)

If we can setup PULL subscription at Enterprise level & pull the data from Express edition, is it possible?

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express (SQL Server Express) can serve as a Subscriber for all types of replication, providing a convenient way to distribute data to client applications that use SQL Server Express. When using SQL Server Express in a replication topology, consider the following:

SQL Server Express cannot serve as a Publisher or Distributor.

It would seem so yes. :w00t: BUT...you'll be limited at the amount of data hosted on your Express Edition..

SQL 2005 = 4GB

SQL 2008 R2 = 10GB...

not a very "good" solution. You'll want to use Enterprise as your source....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply