Set up linked server over the Internet

• Using SQL Server 2000, is it possible to create off-site linked servers over the Internet? We want a remote, offsite standby server which is geographically a long way from the original server. We would need to first create linked servers and then start log shipping.

A simpler way to explain is that the main server is in city A. We would like to create a linked server to a server in city B. Then the server in city A will do log shipping to the server in city B. How can this be accomplished?

• Linked servers, yes. Log shipping, not so much (requires the machines to be on the same network).

Moreover, I'd highly recommend that if you're going to go this route you look into putting both servers into the same private network space. At that point you could do log shipping between them and would have some level of network security for your data in place. However when you say "internet", I take that to mean the public internet and this would, in my experience, be a pretty terrible idea.

• I understand your point. Since the goal is to have geographically far apart backups, is this scenario possible:

The DB server has two backup/restore plans. One will do daily full backups and store it locally. It will also do transaction log backups at regular intervals throughout the day.

In addition, we have another simultaneous plan: do a monthly full backup with transaction log backups at regular intervals throughout the month. These backups are then transferred to an offsite location.

In other words, is it possible to have more than one maintenance and backup/restore plans associated with a single database which occur simultaneously without affecting each other?

• A better way to achieve this may be to follow the current maintenance plan and keep off-site backups of all transaction logs. For this to work, at least one full backup and subsequent logs need to be kept off-site.

• Yes you can - look up the "COPY_ONLY" option under BACKUP in BOL for details. Can't do it via the GUI, but that's no big deal.

Why bother with that though - why not just copy your current DB & log backups to your secondary server via some out-of-band means like FTP, etc. with a script and restore? E.g. poor man's log shipping...

ichbindev (10/16/2007)

...In other words, is it possible to have more than one maintenance and backup/restore plans associated with a single database which occur simultaneously without affecting each other?

• plz mak uze of the following link....

http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/3691721

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply