Server Roles

• Can someone direct met to an article or documentation that gives me indepth information on what each SQL Server Role gives persmission to do? Also, I have a user that just needs to query the data in one of the DB's what role should I assign them and any other advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

"The New Guy"

• Books Online (SQL Server "Help" file on your start menu or in Management Studio), or MSDN (online) has exact data on what roles can do what.

For someone who just needs to query data, the role would either be datareader, or a role that can execute the appropriate stored procedures, depending on how you expect them to access data. Will they be running procs, or writing their own queries?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Thanks! I'll check out Books Online. The user will be creating and saving their own queries. Thanks Again!

• If they'll be writing their own queries, make sure they only have rights to the tables/views that they are supposed to. You don't need people accessing system tables, for example, unless their job requires it.

Also, make sure there's a written policy about things like long-running queries, deadlocks, and other performance-killing queries. You need to know who is responsible for policing those things, and what the policy is on resolving them. Otherwise, you're likely to run into someone running a query that locks down the whole server for an hour, and you won't have a plan for handling that.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Also check out K. Brian Kelley's tips on MSSQLTIPS.

Fixed Database Roles

Fixed Server Roles

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply