Server drop connection error

• Error: 17886, Severity: 20, State: 1. The server will drop the connection, because the client driver has sent multiple requests while the session is in single-user mode. This error occurs when a client sends a request to reset the connection while there are batches still running in the session, or when the client sends a request while the session is resetting a connection. Please contact the client driver vendor. [Policy: MSSQL Logfile Template]

Any suggestions

• santhosh411 (7/17/2012)

Please contact the client driver vendor. [Policy: MSSQL Logfile Template]

Any suggestions

I would start with what the error says. That's a misbehaving driver.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • is the database set to single user?

select * from sys.databases WHERE user_access_desc = 'SINGLE_USER'

if it is, and should not be, you need this command:

ALTER DATABASE [YourDatabaseName] SET MULTI_USER

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Any more suggestions on this

Any more suggestions on this

what did you try?

what did not work?

did you upgrade the driver like Gail suggested?

did you try the suggestions i posted,and what were the results of the queries?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• All databases are in multi user mode only and the drivers were running fine.

All databases are in multi user mode only and the drivers were running fine.

This error has nothing to do with single-user databases. It's MARS-related (multiple-active-result-sets), the ability to have multiple requests pending on a session at a time. This error occurs when the driver attempts a connection reset while there are other pending requests.

Check the driver version, upgrade if necessary.

Vendor app or custom development?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Thanks...!!!!!!!!!!!

Any more suggestion please??????????????

• Sure, answer my question.

Gail Shaw

• Hi,

I am receiving this error against one of my databases. There are multiple connections in to it from multiple servers and I would like to tie it down to the application/connection that it is happening against. Is there any way in SQL Profiler to find the error alongside the login or application name?

There is too much activity against the database to be able to link the time of the error message to one connection/ login etc..

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

Dave

• I was unable to trace the errors but to rectify the issue I followed this post here;

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqldataaccess/thread/3588c09f-8f76-4a62-87e3-85d2b02dbce3

and set Async=true on the connection string which has prevented the problem.

Hope that proves useful for someone!:-)

• Hi Gail,

I'm getting the same error on a server - 2008 R2, RTM

.NET Framework 4 - in house application.

Error: 17886<c/> Severity: 20<c/> State: 1.

Driver you have mentioned, what driver I need to upgrade?

It's on Windows 2008 R2, SP1

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Shoeb

• Hi,

how i could find out which application/database has send this connection string?

• Hi all, 
    I have the same problem, except MARS isn't enabled. How can I capture this severity error? I have tried with Profiler, Extended Events...There are no result, and we need to find out the app and session causing this error, so we could solve this problem. Is it even possible to trace this event-error?
    Please help!

• I have noticed this error right of starting the SQL Server Profiler trace. Any one encountered this error with profiler trace?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply