Sequence in PDW 2008

• I apologize if this is not the correct forum. I am trying to determine if sequences (as in SQL Server 2012) are supported in PDW 2008. If not, what alternatives are available? I understand that IDENTITY values are not supported. The values are needed during bulk inserts and I would rather avoid using a UDF as that would eliminate the benefit of inserting data in bulk.

I appreciate any feedback available.

• it looks like not in Parallel Data Warehouse 2008, no sequences, sorry.

they are appear to available in Parallel Data Warehouse2012

Sequences were introduced in SQL server 2012, and each PDW version is essentially a plug in built on top of a SQL server version;

the 2012 white paper says it can take advantage of everything available in 2012 enterprise edition, but i could not find anything explicitly mentioning datatypes and PDW; it kept pointing me back to SQL Server version

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks for the confirmation. I felt like I was getting the same run-around as well, but I arrived at the same answer you did.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply