Select Statement

• Revenant (5/22/2012)

Too easy, and I am surprised that there is any discussion...

You've obviously never followed comp.sci.maths. The strange ideas I've seen here from a couple of contributors pale into insignificance beside the abject idiocy and pig-headed refusal to accept logic that is commonly displayed there (or perhaps "was" not "is" - it got so bad that I gave up following it years ago). I've even had to correct the odd insanity in wikipedia maths articles, although those probably arise because the same sort of nutter that polluted comp.sci.maths decided to edit maths articles on wikipedia. It's quite reasonable for someone with no real formal maths (and in particular no real type theory) to fail to distinguish between a general number type and distinct integer and decimal and float types; or understand why what they would find nice is in conflict with what allows the rest of us to be rigorous in our use of types.

The really scary thing is that more than 10% of people responding up to now got it wrong. They don't know what SQL's / operator does

edit: geve -> gave

Tom

• Good question. Pity about the explanation. But please keep producing questions like this - thanks for this one.

Thanks to Hugo too, for some very good comments; and to Paul for his.

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (5/22/2012)

. . . The really scary thing is that more than 10% of people responding up to now got it wrong. They don't know what SQL's / operator does. . . .

Let's hope they learned it. But who needs math operators, anyway? 😉

• archie flockhart (5/22/2012)

But to reply to Paul's direct question and to your list of possible results above: if I could choose, I'd return FLOAT data.

Fair enough, that's an arguably good choice. It would also make for some interesting QotD questions 🙂

• Thomas Abraham (5/22/2012)

...and writing reports that won't be looked at when the crisis of the moment is over...

I thought that was my job!

Interesting that the most basic of questions can initiate a stimulating discussion.

• Koen Verbeeck (5/21/2012)

Too easy 😀

Yes it was.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• L' Eomot Inversé (5/22/2012)

The really scary thing is that more than 10% of people responding up to now got it wrong. They don't know what SQL's / operator does

I only knew the answer because of previous QotDs. I can't think of any time that I've wanted or needed to do any division (or indeed any arithmetic) using integer types rather than floats. Or perhaps I have, and nobody's ever noticed that it's not working 😉

• Good back to basics question. Thanks for submitting.

http://brittcluff.blogspot.com/

• Back to basics question.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply