Select data where keyfield not in select statement failure

• This is a really basic query .. which seems to be failing

I have two tables - SalesDeliverynote (SDN) and SalesInvoice (SI)

SalesInvoice is generally created from SalesDeliverynote - where that happens the SI field "DELIVERYNOTE" is populated with the SDN PK field

ID and DELIVERYNOTE are both bigint

the query

select id, number

from SALESDELIVERYNOTE

where id not in (select DELIVERYNOTE from SALESINVOICE)

I know I've got a salesdeliverynote ID that is not in salesinvoice yet it's not being returned in the above query.

Is there an issue with BIGINT's and not in select queries?

• Do the missing rows from SALESINVOICE have NULL DELIVERYNOTE, by any chance?

John

• You said that DeliveryNote is poulated from SDN's ID...

So, there are no records in SDN which are not in SI.

Use the following query for your test,

select SDN.id, SDN.number ,SI.DELIVERYNOTE

from SALESDELIVERYNOTE SDN

LEFT JOIN SALESINVOICE SI on SI.DELIVERYNOTE =SDN.ID

Or

Select ID from SALESDELIVERYNOTE SDN

EXCEPT

select DELIVERYNOTE from SALESINVOICE

• there are some null deliverynote entries in SI - where an invoice has been raised directly. that shouldn't be the case here ..

I've got a deliverynote that says it's been invoiced, but I can't find the invoice!

• ta - I added where SI.Deliverynote is null to that top query and I've got some records back.

I would expect to get at least a few as we're constantly raising deliverynotes but invoices are generally only run once per day - so that's good.

What's also good (sort of!) is the record that I can't find the invoice for is in the results.

Edit: The Select / Except query returned the same results - so that works too... who knows why the "not in" doesn't though ...

said it was simple - just so simple I couldn't think around it ...

Thank you!

• OK, please provide table DDL in the form of CREATE TABLE statements, sample data in the form of INSERT statements, and expected results. We should be able to help you after that.

Thanks

John

• thanks John - it's already been resolved ... ta 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply