Scripting MS SQL Server 2008 installation

• Hi List,

I have been trying to install MS SQL Sever 2008 using a script, that means, I would like to do quiet installation unattended. I edited the configuration file that is created during the installation process of MS SQL Server 2008, but I am not sure if I am doing the right thing. Has anyone got experience with scripted installation? I was wondering if anyone has such a script which has been tested.

I would be very grateful for your help

Niyala

• Here's and example that just installs the client tools.

The whole syntax is in BOL, this should help you get started though.

;SQLSERVER2008 Configuration File

[SQLSERVER2008]

; Specifies a Setup work flow, like INSTALL, UNINSTALL, or UPGRADE. This is a required parameter.

ACTION="Install"

; Specifies features to install, uninstall, or upgrade. The list of top-level features include SQL, AS, RS, IS, and Tools. The SQL feature will install the database engine, replication, and full-text. The Tools feature will install Management Tools, Books online, Business Intelligence Development Studio, and other shared components.

FEATURES=BIDS,CONN,BC,BOL,SSMS,ADV_SSMS

; Displays the command line parameters usage

HELP="False"

; Specifies that the detailed Setup log should be piped to the console.

INDICATEPROGRESS="False"

; Setup will not display any user interface.

QUIET="False"

; Setup will display progress only without any user interaction.

QUIETSIMPLE="False"

; Specifies that Setup should install into WOW64. This command line argument is not supported on an IA64 or a 32-bit system.

X86="False"

; Specifies the path to the installation media folder where setup.exe is located.

;MEDIASOURCE="D:\SQL2008\"

MEDIASOURCE=".\install"

; Specify if errors can be reported to Microsoft to improve future SQL Server releases. Specify 1 or True to enable and 0 or False to disable this feature.

ERRORREPORTING="False"

; Specify the root installation directory for native shared components.

INSTALLSHAREDDIR="C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server"

; Specify the installation directory.

INSTANCEDIR="C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server"

; Specify that SQL Server feature usage data can be collected and sent to Microsoft. Specify 1 or True to enable and 0 or False to disable this feature.

SQMREPORTING="False"

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• Take a look at FineBuild for SQL Server 2008 http://sqlserverfinebuild.codeplex.com/releases/view/47333

SQL Server FineBuild gives 1-click installation and best-practice configuration of SQL Server. It gives everyone a rock-solid foundation for exploiting SQL, regardless of their skill level.

Update 2 August 2010 FineBuild for SQL Server 2008 V2.1.1 includes support for cluster installs.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Every thing is looks find except QUIET="False" as you told, you are doing silent installtion then its suppose to be TURE.

QUIET="TURE"

Please try..it

Thanks & Regards,

Nitin Gupta
    SQl Server (7.0,2000,2005) - Sr. DBA
    HCL Technologies, India

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply