Script to compare tables between two databases

• Hi,

I have same set of tables in Database A and Database B. If there any changes occurs to a table in Database A, then I have to make same changes in database B.

Is there way to query and find the differences between tables in Database A & Database B?

• You could use SSDT to run a schema compare. This can be an automated process, if required.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• I have a query which shows the differences but it is not giving if the column datatype changes. How do I get that?

select isnull(db1.table_name, db2.table_name) as 
    isnull(db1.column_name, db2.column_name) as [column],
    db1.column_name as DB1,
    db2.column_name as DB2
    from
    (select schema_name(tab.schema_id) + '.' + tab.name as table_name,
    col.name as column_name
    from database1.sys.tables as tab
    inner join database1.sys.columns as col
    on tab.object_id = col.object_id) db1
    full outer join
    (select schema_name(tab.schema_id) + '.' + tab.name as table_name,
    col.name as column_name
    from database2.sys.tables as tab
    inner join database2.sys.columns as col
    on tab.object_id = col.object_id) db2
    on db1.table_name = db2.table_name
    and db1.column_name = db2.column_name
    where (db1.column_name is null or db2.column_name is null)
    order by 1, 2, 3

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by  jdc.
  • You can find new columns and tables using a left join with where the column name or table name is null. Then you have to decide what to do if the column or table is dropped. Do you want to drop it from the target or just ignore it when comparing the data. Then you can delete the data no longer in the source, update where it is changed if you have a way of knowing that, like an updatedDate column, then inserting new data not in the target. In addition you could make the tables in the target database temporal tables so you can query the state of the data at a given time.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply