Script All Logins / Users / and Roles

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Script All Logins / Users / and Roles

• Have made a few changes:

Only looks at databases which are online, also added square brackets by the "USE" statements in case a database has an illegal character e.g. a number at the beginning of the name

/****************************************************************

This Script Generates A script to Create all Logins, Server Roles

, DB Users and DB roles on a SQL Server

Greg Ryan

10/31/2013

Cowboy DBA - 11/12/2013

Only looks at databases which are online, also added square brackets by the

"USE" statements in case a database has an illegal character e.g. a number at the beginning of the name

****************************************************************/

SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE @sql NVARCHAR(MAX)

,@Line INT = 1

,@max INT = 0

,@@CurDB NVARCHAR(100) = ''

CREATE TABLE #SQL (

Idx INT IDENTITY

,xSQL NVARCHAR(MAX))

INSERT INTO #SQL

(xSQL)

SELECT 'IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.server_principals WHERE name = N''' + QUOTENAME(name) + ''')

' + 'CREATE LOGIN ' + QUOTENAME(name) + ' WITH PASSWORD=' + sys.fn_varbintohexstr(password_hash) + ' HASHED, SID=' + sys.fn_varbintohexstr(sid) + ', ' + 'DEFAULT_DATABASE=' + QUOTENAME(COALESCE(default_database_name,'master')) + ', DEFAULT_LANGUAGE=' + QUOTENAME(COALESCE(default_language_name,'us_english')) + ', CHECK_EXPIRATION=' + CASE is_expiration_checked

WHEN 1 THEN 'ON'

ELSE 'OFF'

END + ', CHECK_POLICY=' + CASE is_policy_checked

WHEN 1 THEN 'ON'

ELSE 'OFF'

END + '

Go

'

FROM sys.sql_logins

WHERE name <> 'sa'

INSERT INTO #SQL

(xSQL)

SELECT 'IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.server_principals WHERE name = N''' + QUOTENAME(name) + ''')

' + 'CREATE LOGIN ' + QUOTENAME(name) + ' FROM WINDOWS WITH ' + 'DEFAULT_DATABASE=' + QUOTENAME(COALESCE(default_database_name,'master')) + ', DEFAULT_LANGUAGE=' + QUOTENAME(COALESCE(default_language_name,'us_english')) + ';

Go

'

FROM sys.server_principals

WHERE type IN ('U','G')

AND name NOT IN ('BUILTIN\Administrators','NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM');

PRINT '/*****************************************************************************************/'

PRINT '/*************************************** Create Logins ***********************************/'

PRINT '/*****************************************************************************************/'

SELECT @max-2 = MAX(idx)

FROM #SQL

WHILE @Line <= @max-2

BEGIN

SELECT @sql = xSql

FROM #SQL AS s

WHERE idx = @Line

PRINT @sql

SET @line = @line + 1

END

DROP TABLE #SQL

CREATE TABLE #SQL2 (

Idx INT IDENTITY

,xSQL NVARCHAR(MAX))

INSERT INTO #SQL2

(xSQL)

SELECT 'EXEC sp_addsrvrolemember ' + QUOTENAME(L.name) + ', ' + QUOTENAME(R.name) + ';

GO

'

FROM sys.server_principals L

JOIN sys.server_role_members RM

ON L.principal_id = RM.member_principal_id

JOIN sys.server_principals R

ON RM.role_principal_id = R.principal_id

WHERE L.type IN ('U','G','S')

AND L.name NOT IN ('BUILTIN\Administrators','NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM','sa');

PRINT '/******************************Add Server Role Members *******************************/'

SELECT @max-2 = MAX(idx)

FROM #SQL2

SET @line = 1

WHILE @Line <= @max-2

BEGIN

SELECT @sql = xSql

FROM #SQL2 AS s

WHERE idx = @Line

PRINT @sql

SET @line = @line + 1

END

DROP TABLE #SQL2

PRINT '/*****************Add User and Roles membership to Indivdual Databases********************/'

--Drop Table #Db

CREATE TABLE #Db (

idx INT IDENTITY

,DBName NVARCHAR(100));

INSERT INTO #Db

SELECT name

FROM sys.databases

WHERE state_desc = 'ONLINE'

AND name NOT IN ('master','model','msdb','tempdb')

ORDER BY name

SELECT @max-2 = MAX(idx)

FROM #Db

SET @line = 1

--Select * from #Db

--Exec sp_executesql @SQL

WHILE @line <= @max-2

BEGIN

SELECT @@CurDB = DBName

FROM #Db

WHERE idx = @line

SET @SQL = 'Use [' + @@CurDB + ']

Declare @@Script NVarChar(4000) = ''''

DECLARE cur CURSOR FOR

Select ''Use [' + @@CurDB + '];

Go

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.database_principals WHERE name = N'''''' +

mp.[name] + '''''')

CREATE USER ['' + mp.[name] + ''] FOR LOGIN ['' +mp.[name] + ''] WITH DEFAULT_SCHEMA=[dbo]; ''+ CHAR(13)+CHAR(10) +

''GO'' + CHAR(13)+CHAR(10) +

''EXEC sp_addrolemember N'''''' + rp.name + '''''', N''''['' + mp.[name] + '']'''';

Go''

FROM sys.database_role_members a

INNER JOIN sys.database_principals rp ON rp.principal_id = a.role_principal_id

INNER JOIN sys.database_principals AS mp ON mp.principal_id = a.member_principal_id

OPEN cur

FETCH NEXT FROM cur INTO @@Script;

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

PRINT @@Script

FETCH NEXT FROM cur INTO @@Script;

END

CLOSE cur;

DEALLOCATE cur;';

--Print @SQL

EXEC sp_executesql @SQL;

--Set @@Script = ''

SET @Line = @Line + 1

END

DROP TABLE #Db

• Very nice script.

• Thanks for posting this. I just had to do a cold reinstall and restore of my DB server. Has to reconstruct the users/logins from memory! Now I can just run this periodically to have a backup/restore script.

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• Very nice contribution; a keeper! Thank you for sharing.

Steve

• Greg, Thanks for taking the time to create and share this script. I ran into a few issues though.

1. The existence check: IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.server_principals WHERE name = N'[TestMe]'). The square brackets are treated as a literal and if 'TestMe' does exist, '[TestMe]' does not so the CREATE LOGIN portion will execute and fail.

2. Same thing for the generated code to add a database user to a role. The user gets created in the database but the code generated to add it to a role: EXEC sp_addrolemember N'db_datareader', N'[TestMe]'; fails with error: User or role '[TestMe]' does not exist in this database.

3. Will NOT generate code to add a database user IF the user is not assigned to a database role.

4. Will NOT generate code to add a database user IF the database user name is NOT the same as the logon name.

5. The code generated to add a database user does not seem to reflect the correct schema other than 'dbo'

Thanks again for taking the time to share. Sorry if I sound critical.

Lee

• Nice script.

Already mentioned the spaces in the database names. Fixable with brackets in the USE statements

It has a [dbo] user issue.

Tries to script this:

CREATE USER [dbo] FOR LOGIN [dbo] WITH DEFAULT_SCHEMA=[dbo];

Which does not make sense, where there is not an explicit dbowner assigned.

Have to exclude this 'dbo' user in the internal cursor join:

where mp.[name]<>''dbo''

Then it looks to be working

Thanks

Alex Donskoy

SQL Server DBA

Greenberg Traurig PA

Miami FL

• Why not use sp_helprevlogin to script the logins/users instead? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918992

Also, any reason why you decided to not include all permissions and only script roles?

• Hi.

I am using SQL Server 2008 R2.

I get the following error when I run the script.

-----------

Msg 207, Level 16, State 1, Line 54

Invalid column name 'idx'.

Msg 207, Level 16, State 1, Line 63

Invalid column name 'idx'.

-----------

When setting up the "Collection" section of the "Case insensitive" is set.

That is what I thought.

How do I run the script without error ?

Thanks.

• Is there an option to just limit logins to one database. The reason I am asking because we usually refresh QA database from PROD database. We want to capture current logins for the QA database, overwrite it from PROD DB backup, and then re-apply QA permissions.

Thanks!

• ggeier (11/14/2013)

Why not use sp_helprevlogin to script the logins/users instead? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918992

Also, any reason why you decided to not include all permissions and only script roles?

sp_helprevlogin doesn't do users; just logins and server roles. The assumption must be that you're coming onto a new server where the user DBs don't yet exist.

Ken

• Wish I read the comment about adding Square brackets before I did the same

• Good script, thanks.

• I made a few more changes. The script now adds grants for each database and disables logins that are disabled. I also removed all temp tables and cursors and installed table variables.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply