"Scale-out deployment" error while migrating Reporting Services from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008

• I am glad I could help but I cannot understand how bugs are converted to depreciated features. I find it troubling that Microsoft is converting known issues to depreciated.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Gift Peddie (2/6/2009)

I am glad I could help but I cannot understand how bugs are converted to depreciated features. I find it troubling that Microsoft is converting known issues to depreciated.

Or as is commonly known, sweeping under the rug... 🙂

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• If you received this message when just moving the ReportServer DB from Server A to Server B and you have already copied the encryption key then there are 2 options for a quick fix.

The easiest is open the ReportServer database in SSMS on the new server and open the Keys table. You should see an entry for the old server and the new server, delete the entry for the old server (if you just restored this DB then you can always restore it again if worried about this step).

Another option is open power shell and navigate to <installpath>\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\binn and run RSKeyMgmt.exe -l to list the Reporting Services servers recognized on that machine. Then run RSKeyMgmt -r <ClassID> to remove the incorrect one.

Good luck!

• Hello there,

I had the same issue lately and resolved it by deleting and restoring the encryption key (*.snk file)from the previous ReportServer database. Thanks for this posting.

Cheers.

• I had exactly this same scenario 2005 enterprise -> 2008 Standard

1) for some reason my single server appeared twice in the scale out section. I removed one

2) I needed to restore the encryption key (you did back up your encryption key from the 2005 installation didn't you?)

this resolved both the issues you are mentioning

• Hi,

David I like your reply to this issue and I have to say it really did help me.

My issue was that I had backed up and restored my ReportServer databases from a 2005 instance to a 2008R2 instance. I then restored the key which I also backed up.

For some reason I had both the old i.e. 2005 instance and new 2008R2 instance keys, along with a null one, in my Keys table (in all I had 3 entries).

This caused the error

'The feature: "Scale-out deployment" is not supported in this edition of Reporting Services. (rsOperationNotSupported)'

in Report Manager.

By deleting the key for the 2005 instance from the key table, as suggested by David, my problem was resolved.

Thanks

• Jude Agbro (3/10/2011)

Hi,

David I like your reply to this issue and I have to say it really did help me.

My issue was that I had backed up and restored my ReportServer databases from a 2005 instance to a 2008R2 instance. I then restored the key which I also backed up.

For some reason I had both the old i.e. 2005 instance and new 2008R2 instance keys, along with a null one, in my Keys table (in all I had 3 entries).

This caused the error

'The feature: "Scale-out deployment" is not supported in this edition of Reporting Services. (rsOperationNotSupported)'

in Report Manager.

By deleting the key for the 2005 instance from the key table, as suggested by David, my problem was resolved.

I have the same issue, and I also follow microsoft article about this,http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143724.aspx, but I don't know why the article didn't address this issue at all, for my case I migrate sql server 2005 standard to 2008 standard, David's answer for deleting the old key solved my problem too.

Thanks[/quote]

• David Patterson-391691 (2/16/2010)

If you received this message when just moving the ReportServer DB from Server A to Server B and you have already copied the encryption key then there are 2 options for a quick fix.

The easiest is open the ReportServer database in SSMS on the new server and open the Keys table. You should see an entry for the old server and the new server, delete the entry for the old server (if you just restored this DB then you can always restore it again if worried about this step).

Another option is open power shell and navigate to <installpath>\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\binn and run RSKeyMgmt.exe -l to list the Reporting Services servers recognized on that machine. Then run RSKeyMgmt -r <ClassID> to remove the incorrect one.

Good luck!

I like the first option.

But by following microsoft article, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143724.aspx

what step we should do to avoid this to be happening, or we have to do this additional steps to fix it?

Thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply