Saving SQL table

• Hello All!

Please can you advise me if it is possible to save a SQL server table onto a floppy disc.

Thanks,

Alan

• What do you want to save?

If want the script (to generate the table) then right mouse click the table, select All tasks, select Generate SQL Scripts, Select the Options tab and select the file format. Then select OK and it will save the script to disk - if this is a floppy then no problems (wont work if your table script is more than 1.4 Mb).

If you want to save the data then you can right mouse click the table and Export Data - again you can specify a floppy but it will onlt work if the data is less than 1.4 Mb.

I'm not aware of any disk spanning capabilities from SQL Server although you could dump out to a hard disk and then use something like Winzip to compress the file across floppies.

Jeremy

• The way I usually do this is:

In QA go to Tools, Options, Results tab and set Results output format to Tab delimited.

Then select * from the table you are interested in.

Click in the result pane, go to File, save as and save it as a text file on your floppy disk.

Generate a script for the table, as described above, save on the floppy disk.

Run the script on the server you want to transfer data to. Right click on the newly created table, select Import and follow the wizard. When asked about column delimiter select tab.

It should work.

Regards.

• Hi Alan,

quote:

Please can you advise me if it is possible to save a SQL server table onto a floppy disc.

do you want to save the structure and/or the data.

If you want to the save the structure, you can have SQL Server generate a script for you

If you want to save the data, there are two alternatives for this.

1. Use the DTS Export wizard, choose an appropriate format and location and finish.

2. Create a new filegroup in SQL Server, move the table into this filegroup and you can back this up. For further information on this look at BOL for filegroups-> backing up -> How to backup files and filegroups (Transact-SQL)

And now some notes on this.

When you could save your data on a floppy, I assume there are not many rows in this table. I would go for my first suggestion if this is a one time action.

If you need to to this on a regular basis, you might want to consider the second suggestion, although it is 'normally' done only with large tables.

Cheers,

Frank

Edited by - a5xo3z1 on 08/21/2003 12:37:56 AM

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
    My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/[/url]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply