Saving Date AND exact Time to data table

• I was not sure what forum to post this in, but it is SQL Server 2008 R2 we are using so I will here. I have written a program and is using the DB as a backend and I have included an activity tracking log which posts transaction details into a data table (I also have one for error tracking). In my code I use LINQ to SQL. One of the fields is ActivityDateTime and when I save the data to the SQL Table, the date is okay, but the time is 00:00:00 and I have verified through the code that this is NOT the time that is being sent. The time being sent is the actual time of the transaction. For debugging purposes, I also have it writing this data to a csv file and the time is being written there correctly.

The field is set up in DB as datetime. Am I missing something?

Thanks for the information

• DATETIME is accurate to 3 milliseconds. It won't convert a time to midnight

Check the LINQ make sure there's no rounding/conversion happening. Also check there's no trigger on the table.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Yep, no triggers and the datetime is being sent from the code as follows: #6/28/2016 08:33:14 AM#, but the resulting row in the database table is:

ActivityLogID UserIDDataObjectOperation DateTime

311cf0e9-1197-4655-8922-803a344824c5ballisonPDD OpenProgram2016-06-28 00:00:00.000

• Can you use Profiler to show the exact INSERT sent to SQL Server?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• I will check it and see what it shows

• I checked with the profiler, but there is a LOT going on with this SQL server so what I did, and this does work for some reason, is built a quick Stored Procedure to insert the records and I am using a GETDATE at the SQL level and it works. I still would like to know though why getting data with the time from the vb code would produce 00:00:00 for the time. But at any rate, it is working via a stored proc

• There's probably some implicit conversion happening somewhere in the LINQ such that the value is getting cast to the LINQ equivalent of DATE before the insert.

Gail Shaw

• thanks for the response and the help. I do appreciate it

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply