SA password reset

• what happens when we reset the Service account password ?

• that area(sp.script/job) will get failed where you have hardcoded the password

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• @ramyours

Ya, bhuvnesh is right and also

the credentials which are stored in the sql server have to be changed too

otherwise there will be errors in many jobs/scripts whcih verifies the credentials

before running.

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• if you don't change it in SQL as well via configuration manger service will fail on next restart.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• You can change sql sa password by command prompt.

Osql –S yourservername –E

1> EXEC sp_password NULL, ’yourpassword’, ’sa’

2> GO

This article is given 4 methods to change sql password, that could be helpful.

• If you created Maintenance plans with the 'sa' userid they will fail after the password change. You will have to go in and edit them for the new password.

• Be sure to have at least one other user with the SysAdmin Server Role so you don't lock yourself out.

Steve

• @ markus

I dont think the maintenance plan will fail as when the password is reset , it will be automatically be updated..

Thanks,

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• In SQL Server 200 no, In 2005 and 2008 yes. It stores the userid/password in the Integration Svc package now. I found this out the hard way as a SOX audit required us to change the admin password that was running the maint plans.

• interesting stuff on sa but i thought the question was on the service account!

The OP seems to have backed out as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• SA password changes is fully dependent upon your dependency on Login .

if you are using SA login in Replication ( changed login on Subscriber end), linked server (target) and maintenance plan (shrink or reindexing ) , logshhiping etc.

if these tasks are dependent on SA login ,then these tasks would be fail.

It is recommended that you should use another user with SA privillage for Adminstration.

• It IS unclear whether the Orig Poster thinks the sa user stands for Service Account or they really meant changing the password on the Account the run the Sql Server or Sql Server Agent service.

I guessed that the OP assumed that SA stands for Service Account instead of SysAdmin. I'm not sure when a service account's password would ever be changed since they don't normally login.

Steve

• As far as changing the service account password... well... Our company is under a microscope right now and some of our systems are being reviewed very carefully. A SOX audit asked if we had ever changed the password on the service account... well... no... we hadn't.... they asked if anyone who knew that password had left the company or moved into a non DBA position... no... if the answer was YES they would have forced us to change the password.... AND it was on a report that went all the way up to the Board of Directors.

• For security purpose you should not use SA, should have user(s) assign to that role. On all of my SQL Server boxes I completely remove SA from the logons and use my Windows Account the manage SQL Server.

• Don't use any user's individual accounts - what happens when they leave?

Put users in domain groups e.g. SysAdmins and assign the permissions to these. Then you only have to remove people from a group once rather than hunt for every occurence of their login.

Create domain accounts for each service which only have permissions on their own server and another domain account for the proxy account to run job steps which require access to other servers.

When you change the service accounts, do it through the configuration manager and reporting config manager not just from windows services as it does all the required changes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply