run the RECONFIGURE statment to complete kb931279 to solve "not synchronized with other CPUs." problem

• [font="Verdana"]I am following the MS kb "Resolution http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931279"

SQL Query:

exec sp_configure 'affinity mask', 0x0000FFFF

GO

reconfigure

GO

Message: Configuration option 'affinity mask' changed from 0 to 65535. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.

How do I run the RECONFIGURE statment, any ideas please?

Note: This CPu error only started happening after SQL SP2 was applied[/font]

• It would appear that you've already runt he reconfigure statement.

--This statement caused the message you received...

GO

--This is the RECONFIGURE statement that the system wanted...

reconfigure

GO

Looks like you should be all set.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Hi,

Or may be you can try this:

GO

reconfigure with override

go

Renuka__

[font="Verdana"]Renuka__[/font]

• [font="Verdana"]Thank you for the advice. Tried:

reconfigure with override

go

But still get the sql spewing in to the event log every 30mins

"The time stamp counter of CPU on scheduler id 3 is not synchronized with other CPUs."

id number from 1 to 16

Further suggestions most appreciated :D[/font]

• You need to bounce sql. The affinity mask is not dynamic.

• [font="Verdana"]Bounced the sql server and it has made no difference.

Does anybody have any other ideas as the log spill is very miss leading.

Thank:D you[/font]

• Actually you have been having the CPU timing issue you just didn't know about it until SQL Server 2005 SP2 added the notification to the event log... Here is a good article describing the topic.

http://blogs.msdn.com/psssql/archive/2006/11/27/sql-server-2005-sp2-will-introduce-new-messages-to-the-error-log-related-to-timing-activities.aspx

• I have changed the power to "always on" and set the affinity mask. But the message came back after 3 days. Any idea? Thanks.

• Are you running on AMD? If so, you can get a BIOS update from AMD to fix this issue. Work with your hardware vendor and/or AMD to get the correct fix and apply it.

Jeff

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Dell suggested to go BIOS and turn off Stepping, but warned processors speed could be down by 50%. Is it worth to turn off Stepping?

• Dell suggested to go BIOS and turn off Stepping, but warned processors speed could be down by 50%. Is it worth to turn off Stepping?

• Can't really answer that - it is something that you are going to have to test yourself to see if it does in fact slow the system down.

Jeff

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• thanks Jeff, I will allocate some time that I can bring down the server and test it out.

• I'm a newbie; HOW do you "run the RECONFIGURE statement"? For example, which thing do I run (Start | Programs | Microsoft SQL Server 2005 | then what????)? My log_[#].trc file tells me to "run the RECONFIGURE statement," but my problem is that I can't start MSSQLSERVER, so I don't even have a database to attach to.

"????"

Any help would be much appreciated!

Aloha,

pt

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply