Restrict access to instance

• I know you can put a database in either single or restricted mode, but is there a configuration anywhere for the instance? Basically we are refreshing our DEV environment with our production backups over the weekend, but people are leaving their connections up and when i try to kill them, they come right back. I have bee successful with disabling their accounts and then resetting the connections by putting the DB in single user mode and then back to multiuser mode.

But, this instance has A LOT of users and i don't want to have to disable every single user account, but it's starting to look like i that's my only choice.

Thoughts?

• Edit: reread your request: realized you wanted an entire instance, and not a single database.

my advice then is a cursor which runs the alter database command for each database.

EXEC sp_msforeachdb 'ALTER DATABASE [?] SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE'

--old, not completely relevant post still below:

the easiest way is with the alter database command:

this command will force-ably disconnect everyone so you can restore or do whatever you need to in a database. note it would roll back any pending transactions from those users who were still connected; take that into consideration.

ALTER DATABASE YourDataBase SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE

after you are done, if you did not RESTORE the database(the restore would put the db in the status it was backed up at...multi_user most likely, you might need to allow regular users again:

ALTER DATABASE YourDataBase SET MULTI_USER

I've also disconnected people with a cursor full of KILL commands to drop their connections; that is another option, but the ALTER DATABASE command is the best solution:

[

--usage: exec sp_kill DataBaseName

--enhanced 02/04/2005 to also list hostname

CREATE PROCEDURE sp_Kill

@DBNAME VARCHAR(30)

--Stored procedure to Delete SQL Process

AS

BEGIN

SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE @SPID INT

DECLARE @STR NVARCHAR(50)

DECLARE @HOSTNAME NVARCHAR(50)

DECLARE @DBID INT

CREATE TABLE #TMPLOG (

SPID INT,

ECID INT,

STATUS VARCHAR(50),

LOGINAME VARCHAR(255),

HOSTNAME VARCHAR(50),

BLK INT,

DBNAME VARCHAR(30),

CMD VARCHAR(100) ,

RID INT,

)

select @DBID=db_id(@DBNAME)

IF @DBID IS NULL

PRINT 'No database exists with the name ' + @DBNAME + ', Check the Spelling of the db.'

INSERT INTO #TMPLOG EXEC SP_WHO

--do not even try to kill spids that are SQL server itself.

DELETE FROM #TMPLOG WHERE SPID < 50

IF @@ERROR <> 0 GOTO Error_Handle

DECLARE CURPROCESSID CURSOR FOR SELECT SPID FROM #TMPLOG

WHERE DBNAME LIKE @DBNAME

OPEN CURPROCESSID

FETCH NEXT FROM CURPROCESSID INTO @SPID

SELECT @HOSTNAME=HOSTNAME FROM #TMPLOG WHERE SPID=@SPID

IF @SPID IS NOT NULL

PRINT 'Spid Process Kill List For database: ' + @dbName

ELSE

PRINT 'NO Processes Exist to be killed on database ' + @dbName

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

IF @SPID = @@SPID

BEGIN

PRINT 'Cannot kill your own SPID, skipping ' + convert(varchar,@spid) + ' - ' + @HOSTNAME

END

ELSE

BEGIN

SET @STR = 'KILL ' + CONVERT(VARCHAR,@SPID)

EXEC SP_EXECUTESQL @STR

PRINT convert(varchar,@spid) + ' - ' + @HOSTNAME

END

IF @@ERROR <> 0 GOTO ERROR_HANDLE

FETCH NEXT FROM CURPROCESSID INTO @SPID

END

Error_Handle:

IF @@ERROR <> 0 PRINT 'Error killing process - ' + convert(varchar,@spid) + ' - ' + @HOSTNAME

drop table #tmpLog

SET NOCOUNT OFF

END

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• thanks for the quick reply. That is what i am currently doing but would rather set something at an instance level instead of a DB level. The problem we are having is some connections come right back and take the single connection up and the SQL job account cannot connect to the DB.

Any more thoughts? 🙂

• You could try disabling remote connections first.

• The restores are scheduled to use a SSIS package on a remote server so that will disconnect the job.

• damn i knew this and didn't remember it; I'll blame it on caffiene deficiency.

you'll want to stop and start the instance in single user mode

sqlservr.exe -m -s SQLEXPRESS

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms180965.aspx

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• mflora (3/14/2011)

The problem we are having is some connections come right back and take the single connection up and the SQL job account cannot connect to the DB.

Any more thoughts? 🙂

Are those accounts dbo/sysadmin? If not, then alter database set RESTRICTED_USER. That will keep everyone who's not dbo, sysadmin or db_creator out of the database.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks Gail, this is the option we are currently coding to use this weekend. It was the by DB option to use if the instance configuration wasn't possible. Hopefully this will keep the programmers out. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply