Restoring AG databases from PRODUCTION to QA environment

• Hello,

Currently while doing a refresh of our QA environment from LIVE ( restoring AG databases from LIVE to QA) I do the following steps:

1. backup LIVE databases
    2. Remove the QA databases from the Availability Group
    3. Restore the databases to the QA environment
    4.Add the databases back to the AG

All this is a manual process.

I want to automate this whole exercise and schedule this as a job, so that this could be done on a regular basis ( like monthly)

Please provide any suggestions or me in the right direction for this automation.

Regards,

TJ

• This sounds like a job for....Powershell.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Henrico Bekker - Wednesday, February 22, 2017 6:06 AM

This sounds like a job for....Powershell.

Thanks Bekker, I could figure that out ..but the issue is that I don't have much knowledge of Powershell and wanted to see if other DBAs might have figured out a way around that..

• Agreed. Powershell to the rescue. Just script out each step you do manually and work them into Powershell. One step at a time. Test each one.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Some searching would have led you to some good material, but here is a good start for you. 
    Just be aware, your exact requirement is not to refresh your primary DB, but secondary, so just filter the steps that is applicable. 

https://sqldbawithabeard.com/2014/09/04/refreshing-availability-group-database-with-powershell/

and from MSDN, the generic piece of code that will perform the basic backup, restore, add to AG. 

$DatabaseBackupFile = "\\share\backups\MyDatabase.bak"  
    $LogBackupFile = "\\share\backups\MyDatabase.trn"
    $MyAgPrimaryPath = "SQLSERVER:\SQL\PrimaryServer\InstanceName\AvailabilityGroups\MyAg"
    $MyAgSecondaryPath = "SQLSERVER:\SQL\SecondaryServer\InstanceName\AvailabilityGroups\MyAg"

Backup-SqlDatabase -Database "MyDatabase" -BackupFile $DatabaseBackupFile -ServerInstance "PrimaryServer\InstanceName"
    Backup-SqlDatabase -Database "MyDatabase" -BackupFile $LogBackupFile -ServerInstance "PrimaryServer\InstanceName" -BackupAction 'Log'

Restore-SqlDatabase -Database "MyDatabase" -BackupFile $DatabaseBackupFile -ServerInstance "SecondaryServer\InstanceName" -NoRecovery
    Restore-SqlDatabase -Database "MyDatabase" -BackupFile $LogBackupFile -ServerInstance "SecondaryServer\InstanceName" -RestoreAction 'Log' -NoRecovery

Add-SqlAvailabilityDatabase -Path $MyAgPrimaryPath -Database "MyDatabase"
    Add-SqlAvailabilityDatabase -Path $MyAgSecondaryPath -Database "MyDatabase"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply