Restoring a database :

• Hi,

Is there any way to restore a database of higher version to lower version.

for eg. I have created a database in sql server 2012, created some tables & procedures in that.I took Full backup of that database.

Can i restore it to sql 2008r2 or any lower version.

I know direct restore is not possible, I have to use either import or export option or generating script,

but i want to know is there any easy step to do so.

Vimal LohaniSQL DBA | MCP (70-461,70-462)==============================The greatest barrier to success is the fear of failure ** Success is a journey not a destination**Think before you print, SAVE TREES, Protect Mother Nature

• I would generate the script with all the drops via the "generate scripts" task. Create the database on 2008R2 run the script in. Then generate the SSIS package via export data wizard with the right mappings. Then modify the SSIS package it calls to include the script to drop and recreate the tables.

The majority of the tasks will be done so will just be a case of maintaining the script and the SSIS package for new tables, columns, procs etc and running it via a SQL job.

• Vimal Lohani (9/1/2014)

Hi,

Is there any way to restore a database of higher version to lower version.

for eg. I have created a database in sql server 2012, created some tables & procedures in that.I took Full backup of that database.

Can i restore it to sql 2008r2 or any lower version.

I know direct restore is not possible, I have to use either import or export option or generating script,

but i want to know is there any easy step to do so.

Thanks anthony.green, for reply, I know this option, Generating script with schema only and then use import export wizard to create SSIS Package to transfer data.

But what if you have only backup file. even you can't read it on lower version through labels or headeronly.

Vimal LohaniSQL DBA | MCP (70-461,70-462)==============================The greatest barrier to success is the fear of failure ** Success is a journey not a destination**Think before you print, SAVE TREES, Protect Mother Nature

• If you only have backup then there is no way to do it as backups are not downgradable, you can go up versions but not down. So the only way is scripts.

• Vimal Lohani (9/1/2014)

But what if you have only backup file. even you can't read it on lower version through labels or headeronly.

Download SQL Evaluation edition of the version of the DB or higher. Install it somewhere (VMs are great for this), restore the database, script, export and then recreate on the lower version

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply