Restore database using URL option

• How do i restore my database where backup file is on Azure File storage? Every time I enter the storage account name and access key it keeps erroring out.
    Latest error:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    ------------------------------

The provided account name https:/xxxxxx.file.core.windows.net/Cont1/sat/xxxxxx.bak could not be reached or does not exist. Please provide a valid account and try again.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The server encountered an unknown failure: The remote name could not be resolved: 'https' (Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient)

The remote name could not be resolved: 'https' (System)

BUTTONS:

OK

• Are you trying to restore the db backup on Azure or want to restore it on your local machine?

• twin.devil - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 1:38 AM

Are you trying to restore the db backup on Azure or want to restore it on your local machine?

Restoring on Azure VM hosting SQL server 2014 edition.

• khushbu - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 2:24 AM

twin.devil - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 1:38 AM

Are you trying to restore the db backup on Azure or want to restore it on your local machine?

Step-By-Step: How To Map Azure File storage Drive To Windows 10

• twin.devil - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 5:37 AM

khushbu - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 2:24 AM

I was able ti successfully map the drive, but SQL does not recognize the mapped drive. I'm guessing permission issue but nothing concrete so far.

• khushbu - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 11:26 PM

twin.devil - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 5:37 AM

I was able ti successfully map the drive, but SQL does not recognize the mapped drive. I'm guessing permission issue but nothing concrete so far.

Just curious, why aren't you using Azure Blob Storage? If you check the below link you will see fairly easy and works with SQL SERVER BACKUP and RESTORE.
    Step by Step : Backup and Restore for SQL Server in Windows Azure Blob Storages

Anyways regarding File Store and mapped drive. There are a few steps to take for this to work.

1. Persist your storage account credentials used to access the Azure File Share. Run the following in a command prompt:
      cmdkey /add:yourstorageaccount.file.core.windows.net /user:storageaccountname /pass:yourstorageaccountkey==
    2. The account running the MS SQL Server service must have access to the share, the default NT Service\MSSQLSERVER account doesn't work.
    3. After you complete the steps above you can make backups/Restore from both SSMS or a script.

• twin.devil - Wednesday, August 30, 2017 1:18 AM

khushbu - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 11:26 PM

Just curious, why aren't you using Azure Blob Storage? If you check the below link you will see fairly easy and works with SQL SERVER BACKUP and RESTORE.

Anyways regarding File Store and mapped drive. There are a few steps to take for this to work.

1. Persist your storage account credentials used to access the Azure File Share. Run the following in a command prompt:
      cmdkey /add:yourstorageaccount.file.core.windows.net /user:storageaccountname /pass:yourstorageaccountkey==
    2. The account running the MS SQL Server service must have access to the share, the default NT Service\MSSQLSERVER account doesn't work.
    3. After you complete the steps above you can make backups/Restore from both SSMS or a script.

Thanks. There are few other reasons we are not using BLOB storage while my POC with it was successful. 
     My SQL Server service does not run with NT Service but some other account say "TEST". How do I make sure that this "TEST " has access to File storage share?

• khushbu - Wednesday, August 30, 2017 3:21 AM

twin.devil - Wednesday, August 30, 2017 1:18 AM

khushbu - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 11:26 PM

Thanks. There are few other reasons we are not using BLOB storage while my POC with it was successful. 
     My SQL Server service does not run with NT Service but some other account say "TEST". How do I make sure that this "TEST " has access to File storage share?

When you connect to your SQL SERVER on VM, Are you using Windows Authentication using "Test" Login?
    Is this "Test" Administrator on your VM? or there is another User?
    When you mount the driver, did you able to copy any files on that drive using your Login user? You might have to use that same user for your SQL SERVER as well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply