Responsibility to Learn

• Eric M Russell - Friday, August 25, 2017 8:24 AM

Beatrix Kiddo - Friday, August 25, 2017 2:44 AM

"I’ve recently heard several people tell me something along the lines of “Well, if my company wants me to learn new technology, they’ll need to tell me what to learn, pay for it, and give me the time to learn it.â€"

These people must have zero pride.

Yes, modern society is plagued by both ignorant people with no pride and also ignorant people with too much pride.

That sounds exactly right, Eric.

Some of the ignorant people with too much pride are people who won't even consider learning anything new other than at their employer's expense (both in lost work time and payment of course fees).  So Beatrix was I think a bit optimistic when she said "These people must have zero pride."   In fact I think most people who won't learn without their employer funding it and giving them time off for it are more ostentatiously proud (and proud of how they get paid for putting in the minimum effort tht they can possible get away with, which is something decent people would of course be ashamed of).  Many of these overproud people are also too lazy to put in any serious work on the training the employer provides for them, so they don't learn much from it.  But some are even worse than that.

I'm one of the lucky ones who loves learning and spent most of my working life at a company that was fairly fabnatical about having its employees learn, and insisted on senior people obtaining recognition from an appropriate learned society or similar professional institution that they were competent to mentor juniors up to the level where they (the juniors) could be reasonably try for chartered status and, that all juniors should be aware that for senior positions chartered status would usually be required; the company also provided internal training (both on the job and off at one of the training centres) and external training at all levels.   But even  at that company we would find people who didn't want to learn.  I remember one graduate I was asked to mentor after others had decidd they didn't want to have to deal with him, but his attitude was he had his degree so he already knew it all, he didn't see any reson for him to join any professional body or train towards chartered status because he would surely get it by right for no effort at all, and he didn't want to go on any training courses because he already knew it all.  I think he left the company quite soon after that.

Tom

Viewing post 16 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply