Reporting Services Option Grayed Out

• Having trouble installing Reporting Services on a dev box. I cannot even checkmark the box as an option to install the Reporting Services. I've checked the software prereq's and I have the proper versions of IIS, etc. Is there a licensing issue that I am not aware of (need an additional license to install SQL Server Reporting Services, etc.)? Or is there something else? Please help.

Info about the box:

MS Windows Server 2003

Standard edition

SP2

AMD 2.61Ghz

3.83 GB RAM

Info about instance of SQL Server:

MSSQL Standard Edition

Vers. 9.00.3042.00

Collation: SQL Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

• You definately do not need another license. It's included with the SQL server license.

Are you sure that you have IIS installed? it would not be by default on server03.

Are you sure you are not just installing the client tools?

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• If you are in SQL Server 2005 and your TDS(tabular data stream) number 9.00.3042.00 says you are in SQL Server 2005. So remove IIS6 and add it again this time click on details and add all the features needed to implement Asp.net. Then go to the location below in your C drive and run aspnet_regiis before running SQL Server setup. One more thing copy all setup files to C drive and run setup in your C drive.

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Also make sure that your IIS services are started, not just installed.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Actually in Win2003 IIS6 is not installed default it must be added and when added by default it will just render static html which means SQL Server 2005 setup may still see it as not installed so I have given the op what is needed to get it running which is adding all Asp.net features in details and run aspnet_regiis.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• So, if all the IIS options are not installed, it will not show SSRS as an option to install from the SQLS install wizard? Because that is what is happening.

• I have told you copy all your SQL Server setup files to your C drive because some SQL Server features must be installed in your C drive. Then remove IIS6 and add it again this time click on details and there are many items you need to enable for Asp.net. Again remove IIS6 and add it again. In the meantime here are the default permissions in IIS6 so you will know what I am talking about.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/812614

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Gift Peddie (12/1/2008)

I have told you copy all your SQL Server setup files to your C drive because some SQL Server features must be installed in your C drive. Then remove IIS6 and add it again this time click on details and there are many items you need to enable for Asp.net. Again remove IIS6 and add it again. In the meantime here are the default permissions in IIS6 so you will know what I am talking about.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/812614

OK, had some miscommunication at a very basic level. I was not looking for the IIS stuff in the right place. My mistake. Here's what allowed me to fiigure it out. This was a question in a FAQ in another blog/forum:

Q: Where do I download IIS 6?

A: No version of IIS 5 or IIS 6 can be downloaded. (this part was the kicker; I was not familiar with where to uninstall or reinstall IIS)They are installed using Add/Remove Windows Components

I was looking in the "Add/Remove Programs" tab, not "Add/Remove Windows Components". Forgive me. I am not a Windows SA, I am merely a SQL DBA. 🙂 All is well now though. Thanks for the help.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply