Reporting Services on SQL Server 2000

• Has anybody experimented with the Reporting Services Beta for SQL Server 2000 yet? I am having one issue with it that I am wondering about... can one pass an ADO.NET dataset into the RDL to generate the report? Also, is there a way to generate a report off of an XSD instead of a stored procedure or query?

I can't seem to find anything that shows an example of this and see this as the one big deficiency with the service (especially not being able to pass in a dataset which may be from a web service call or a custom .NET method).

Thanks

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Hi, I don't have a full answer to your question, you may be able to do this easily in the IDE ,you may not, I don't know. But from a conceptual point of view you should be able to do it in XML. If I am correct an ADO.net dataset is XML data and RDL is XML data, so in theory all you need to do is transform one into the other with XSLT. Perhaps some XML guru's would be able to help you with this.

HTH

Chris

• SQL server 2000 has the Business Intelligence Accelerator, it uses Analysis services.

For ad-hoc reporting, best to look for a report writer such as Businessobjects, Cognos, Corvu and others

• I don't see why spending big bucks on BusinessObjects when you have most of the functionality for 'free' if you have licenses for SQL Server 2000 and Office.

• Going back to the original question re: using a DS as a datasource.  As with nearly everything in Yukon (maybe it *is* everything ), RS is XML based.  To create a report, you must create a datasource (the metadata for this is stored as an XML file on the server).  Once you've got a datasource, you can then create a (1 or more) DataSet to populate your report.  This is an ADO.net dataset.

Unless you are going to specify it on the fly, it looks to me like the datasource must be known and exist on the server prior to attempting to execute a report.

As far as including the raw XML source data within the RDL itself, I haven't seen this done but I guess it could be possible if a) RDL supports it or b) you extend the RDL to support it.

Steve.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply