Reporting Services install on separate servers

• Can someone advise me about installing the various components of the Reporting Services.  We have  Sql Server user databases on a separate box from our IIS/.net framework server.  The MS Deployment Guide shows the Report Server and Report Manager components can be installed on one server with the Report Server DB on a separate server.  I have 2 questions:

In the Licensing FAQ MS says,  "If you want to run Reporting Services on a server that is not licensed for SQL Server 2000, you will need to obtain a SQL Server 2000 license for that additional server."  Does this mean this "freebie" now requires a license, even though we have a licensed Sql Server for the database, but Reporting Services components are on another box?

What about performance if everything is installed on one server?

• Reporting Services is licensed with SQL Server the same as Analysis Services. If you want to run either service on another server, you need to license that server.

As to the performance, you'll have to evaluate that at your site. I have heards reports of the ReportServer service can consume cpu cycles when its polling for reports to produce.

I think the way a report is scheduled is a bit weird actually. You have a scheduled job that inserts a record into a table in the ReportServer database and the ReportServer service is continually polling that table for reports to execute.

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply