Reporting Services for SQL 2000 Login failed for user null error

• I am getting the following error when I try to render a report in my browser.  All other reports work and are using the exact same data source.  This has me completely baffled.  Has anyone else out there had this happen?  The permissions are sufficient.  I'm not sure why reporting services is passing a null string for the username for this particular report

An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted) Get Online Help  Cannot create a connection to data source 'SIDRPro'. (rsErrorOpeningConnection) Get Online Help Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.

EXTREMELY SAD! 

• Make sure in the report designer on the report parameters you do not have the default set to NULL...

Moe C

• Thanks for replying.  I am not using parameters.

• The thing i would do next is look in the reporting services logfiles... this will tell you what in the report is causing this error... also try looking in the IIS log files... this can also help...

Moe C

• let's see the connect string being used.  are you using SQL Server authenticaion or Windows?  are you using SSL certificate?  are both the client and host in the same domain?  (and specifically, is the client in the domain, any domain?).  What OS are both host and client using?

Cheers,

david russell

• I'm using the reporting services interface, it's an internal report.  I'm not crossing any domains - report server is in the same domain as my computer.  I created the report and data source via Visual Basic 2003 Business Intelligence module and deployed it to the server.  I'm accessing the reports via the default report server link http://servername/reports.  I have 10 other reports on the same page that work only one throws the error.  I didn't create the original report but I have tried recreating it from scratch and still no luck.  I have checked permissions on every level, domain, sql, server.  The end users are accessing these reports via an ASP page and they're getting a different error: "The permissions granted to user 'domainname\username' are insufficient for performing this operation."   But I figure that if I have any hope to resolve their error I must first resolve my own login failed for user null error.

I've looked at the log files and checked IIS, don't see anything helpful there.

• My reporting services is installed on a Windows Server 2003 box.

• I'm not using SSL.  I am using Windows Authentication.

• Client computers are Windows XP Professional SP2

• Here is what appears to be a good article on the end-user's error... I'm reading it now; but wanted to get it in front of you:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/winntas/support/trouble.mspx

Cheers,

david russell

• This one is going to look like its' reaching, so you're just going to have to take my word for it and check it out.  There was a bug in the early reporting services where the RS link could not be spelled in mixed case.  The entire string had to be in lower case.  I do not remember how the resulting error manifested itself; but it's worth a try since you're using RS in 2000.  You might also try substituting the IP address.

Cheers,

david russell

• Another great article... check this out:

http://www.dotnet247.com/247reference/msgs/58/290412.aspx

I must defer for the day and get back into my own work as we are on a very short deadline.  Hope some of this helps you figure it out.  Please post your results and I will probably check back around 7 PM PST.  Good luck.

Cheers,

david russell

• Thanks, I'll read this as soon as I get home.  I'm headed out the door now.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply