Reporting Service book

• Hi,

I need a recommendation of a good book on Reporting Services, one that is easy to understand and provide many examples. Thank you !!!

• Best one I've read is Hitchhiker's Guide to SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services by Blackburn and Vaughn.

• Eduardo,

Chris' recommendation is an excellent one. The Hitchhiker's Guide... is an *exceptionally good book*, with a very good accompanying DVD showing you how to set up various tricky parts of Reporting Services - and there are quite a few if you do it properly and securely. The style is very laid back, slightly humourous without going down the '...for Dummies' route, but you're not getting any padding here, it's all hard nosed, well explained technical stuff, you feel like you're discussing it with the guys who have written it as you read.

My only criticism (and I've not yet been inspired to purchase anything better because I've not found it yet)  is that it does tend you throw you in a bit at the deep end after just the first few chapters. If you're a novice RS person, I'd say definitely buy this, enjoy the first half of the book, then put it on the shelf to mature - I'm sure you'll come back to it. But I think for someone wanting to quickly get into bashing out their first report without reading about the installation and security issues for hours, it's probably a bit too deep on the these aspects for the novice. If anyone else has any suggestions I'd appreciate them too !

Jon

• Thanks Jon and Cris for the replies.

I ve read about the book you mention at http://www.awprofessional.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=0321268288&rl=1

There are a lot of good opinions . I will consider to buy it. I enjoy reading books that are written like a history and have many samples.

Regards

Eduardo

• If you are looking for a book to walk you through examples, you may want to look at:

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services - Essential Skills for Database Professionals  by Brian Larson (McGraw Hill)

I found this easy to read, not too techy.  The chapters flow nicely, starting from installation, through the basics of creating reports, and later into advanced reporting, charting and Report Delivery.

DJanson

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply