Report server on two different servers

• Hi,
    Please help me to understand if this can be done.I have SQLServer A hosting the reporting server, i also have SQLServer B that i want to access the same reporting server hosted on A. Is it possible for two servers to use one Reporting Server?

Many thanks

• What do you mean by "access"?  Do you just want to run a browser on Server B and run reports from it?  If so, yes, that can be done.

John

• Thank you for your quick response, i mean can i use the same Reportserver database on both servers?

Thank you so much.

• Do you mean can you have the SSRS service on Server A and the databases on Server B?  Yes, you can, but bear in mind that you need to buy licences for each server.  Or maybe you want to have two SSRS instances both pointing at the same database?  You can't do that, but you can have the databases for both SSRS instances on the same SQL Server instance.  You might, for example, name one database ReportServer2016 and the other ReportServer2017.

John

• Thanks John for your time to explain this to me.This cannot be done,i wanted two instances pointing at the same database.

God bless you John!

T.

• Well, technically you could.  you can't directly link the second database to the report server, but if you're using the web interface for ssrs (http://Servername/reports) you can configure the datasources for each server.  You could then add folders and name them by server like "Server A Reports", "Server B Reports", etc.  Then you can customize the reports based on the data source.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply