Replication DR

• mtassin (5/5/2011)

got this one wrong.

Reading the Microsoft Article it seems you could actually configure mirroring on the distribution server, but that it wouldn't work if you failed over.

So technically I think you could do all 3, but as the article states, there's not much point in mirroring the distribution database.

You actually can mirror the distribution database and it will work just like a regular mirror. However, if you fail it over and try to synchronize your replication, you will actually get a terrific, specific error that the distribution database is being mirrored so it is unavailable.

So while I chose the "correct" answer in the spirit of the question, the question's explanation said that it could NOT be mirrored, when it should have said that it is not SUPPORTED since it will break replication.

Yes, I actually built it to try it out. Never say something CANNOT be done, when it is merely unsupported. On one technical interview, I was asked to define the difference between XP Pro and Home. I said one was personal use and one was for the domain. I was told that, no, XP Home could not be joined to a domain. So I demonstrated on the spot that they were wrong by joining my laptop to their domain. Sure I had to change a zero to a one in the registry, but it was possible, certainly not supported though.

But a great question because it made me think in a different way about something I do alot.:-D

Peter Trast
    Microsoft Certified ...(insert many literal strings here)
    Microsoft Design Architect with Alexander Open Systems

• Good question, thanks Steve.

• Nice question, thanks!

• hmm... I need to do some practice on replication. I got this one wrong. :hehe:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hai Ton
    My Db4Breakfast blog.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply