Replicate database

• I am looking to replicate all the databases in a instance to DR location. I have approx 20 databases on this server and it needs DR plan. So all i can think is Always on AG with Async mode.  It would be critical application and synch would would be atleast 30 mins. Is there any other option other than Always on AG. Please advise? Thanks in Advance.

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by  Admingod.
  • Log shipping?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• I agree. But this is an old fashioned DR Solution right? Is there any benefits of Log shipping over Always on AG?

• I just did a quick search on the topic and there is loads of material out there already, written by people more qualified than I.

But the answer I gleaned from reading was definitely yes, there are advantages (as well as disadvantages). You need to weigh up the pros and cons and decide which is best in your environment.

It may be old technology but, as far as I know, there is no suggestion that it will be deprecated. It's tried and tested.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• In an event of disaster i think the data loss would more using log shipping when it compared to Always on AG group. Unless you schedule more frequent log backups.

• Before you go any further, make sure that you have your RTO and RPO defined and agreed by interested parties.

This information will feed into the choice you make. Though it sounds like you have already made up your mind to use AGs.

• Yes. However, i did not made up mind yet to use AGs. The major concern I have is that the server has two many databases(approx 20 - 30db) to configure for AGs ,so not sure if managing would become difficult?

• I have 33 databases in one AG, totaling about 1.5 TB of space.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Have you seen any issues with AG while configuring or managing with few databases Vs 33 databases?

• Since  SQL Server 2017 doesn't  require WSFC for AlwaysOn AGs. So i am thinking to configure AG without WSFC. Do you see any issues with this? Does it matter if it's Sync or Async mode?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply