Replacement for Net Send

• I have my databases on SQL Server 2k with sp3.  This new server does not have mail set up (and will not have mail set up).  I have various jobs which run which would Net Send me a notice when they failed.  My computer has Windows XP with sp1.  If I install sp2 I am no longer able to use the Net Send.  Is there a good replacement for this?

Sue

• The Net Send doesn't have anything to do with SQL Mail. It uses the messenger service which is disabled in Sp2. If you have to have the alerts sent via Net Send then you'll need to enable and start the service.

A better idea is to setup something like xp_smtp_sendmail (http://www.sqldev.net) and define alerts to send you and an email. There is instructions for this on the sqldev website.

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• SSCrazy, I like the head-banging avatar. I need one of those and an automatic butt-kicking machine.

I saw this post and have been banging my head trying to set up a replacement for Net Send. I've got SQL mail going, but it's not the right solution for some messages. Besides not all out SQL users have email. I would like to send messages to users (workstations) when certain processes are starting, etc. I've tried WinSent and Sent, but without luck. I also tried to use the native MSG.exe which is still in the system32 folder of WIN 7, but it's hoaky and I'm having trouble getting it to work with WIN 7 boxes and 08 servers.

Any suggestions?

Wallace Houston
    Sunnyland Farms, Inc.

"We must endeavor to persevere."

• Caruncles (3/3/2011)

SSCrazy, I like the head-banging avatar. I need one of those and an automatic butt-kicking machine.

I saw this post and have been banging my head trying to set up a replacement for Net Send. I've got SQL mail going, but it's not the right solution for some messages. Besides not all out SQL users have email. I would like to send messages to users (workstations) when certain processes are starting, etc. I've tried WinSent and Sent, but without luck. I also tried to use the native MSG.exe which is still in the system32 folder of WIN 7, but it's hoaky and I'm having trouble getting it to work with WIN 7 boxes and 08 servers.

Any suggestions?

@caruncles, Sounds a little involved. Probably best to start your own thread instead of resurrecting one that's six years old 😉

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply