Repairing the Tests

• The TPC-C benchmark, the one that everyone brags about is being modernized. At least, I brag about it when SQL Server is on top 🙂

A successor, TPC-E, is being worked on to provide a more meaningful number to people. This new one supposedly will be more representative of the way that modern hardware and software works.

I guess, but if you ask me, I think it's a lost cause. The numbers aren't really representative of any work that we do in the real world. The application is mostly too far away from something that is tangible to most people that we can just use the numbers relative to each other to argue for our favorite platform.

To me, if you really want to provide some meaningful numbers, you need to use real applications that lots of people run. Not SQL Server on Windows 2003, nor Oracle on Solaris. Use the dot net nuke framework on Windows. Use the Zope framework on Linux, or find some suitable, out of the box application, set it up fairly generically and see how it runs.

Then we might be able to understand how well the software perform relatively and derive some meaningful results out of the hardware software combination.

Steve Jones

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• "....the original poster will appreciate any thoughts you have!"...

Thoughts are that some sort of check/filter needs to be placed on this automated response...<;-)

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply