Rename instance name in SQL Server 2008 R2

• You are talking about naming conventions, which are best practice in my book. Default names shouldn't be used in production envs for a few reasons:

1. It avoids any clashes (such as moving the default instance to a server already running a default instance)

2. It can describe more fully the instance

3. Instances can be managed

4. Default names for anything are more vulnerable to attack

I also change the default port whenever it's feasible.

The only 2 real reasons I can see for using the default instance are:

1. Dev environments where you just want to connect to a DB

2. You need to allow others to easily discover the instance

I think a default instance name says "hey I'm just a plain old vanilla instance and you're free to mess around with me". If you name it something descriptive, people are a lot less likely to mess because they think the instance has a specific role and has been set up for that role. If you see an instance called ACCOUNTS, you'll think more than twice about changing anything!

• Thank you a lot. keep it up.:-D

• Hi,

If you have a default instance , you can rename it to whatever following the steps above. ( Default instance means the instance name = hostname of the server ).

BUT, if you have a named instance  (i.e ) while setting your server up you add a new name like say testinstance , then when SQL Server is installed  the instance name will be
    hostname\testinstance. In this case you CANNOT change the instance name and would need to UNINSTALL SQL server and reinstall it.

Thanks,

• The general recommendation is that you can change an instance name if it is the default instance
    see here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143799.aspx
    But modifying an existing named instance is not recommended without uninstall/reinstall.

• You can rename an instance name, why not? It's simply supported. The name of an installed sql server instance is just an alias for the unique id the instance is associated with in the physical server.
    Renaming a stand-alone instance is easier than an instance in cluster.
    Take a look here for example http://www.sqlmighty.com/single-post/2016/10/02/Changing-SQL-Server-name

Igor Micev,My blog: www.igormicev.com

• Igor Micev - Wednesday, February 15, 2017 1:30 AM

You can rename an instance name, why not?

No, you can't. You can change a server name (as your link shows and as people 5 years ago stated in this thread), not an instance name.

Server01\MyInstance can be changed to SQLProd01\MyInstance, but not to Server01\SomeOtherInstanceName

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster - Wednesday, February 15, 2017 2:47 AM

Igor Micev - Wednesday, February 15, 2017 1:30 AM

You can rename an instance name, why not?

No, you can't. You can change a server name (as your link shows and as people 5 years ago stated in this thread), not an instance name.

Server01\MyInstance can be changed to SQLProd01\MyInstance, but not to Server01\SomeOtherInstanceName

Uff, that's correct. I mixed the instance with the server. My apologise. And the topic is correct too.

Igor Micev,My blog: www.igormicev.com

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply