Removing the publication from tables/database

• Hi,

I would like to know how do i remove the publications from the tables which are already published..

Details of the problem : when i configure replication from a local sql server to a web server.. every thing works fine..

Now at a point of time i want to disable this replication process..(infact remove the whole replication settings)..

when i do this at the end of removal it says

" the subscription has been deleted successfully at the published and the distributor"

"would you like sql server to connect to the subscriber and delete the subscription information"

but due to connection problems,, the error appears "TIMEOUT EXPIRED"

Now when i again try to configure the replication process i get this following error :

"The process could not drop one or more tables because the tables are being used by other publications."

how do i go about removing the subscription information from the web server database..

John

• You can drop the objects, but it's a matter of figuring out which ones. What type of replication where you using? Did you have issues with timeouts prior to trying to drop the publication?

Andy

• quote:

You can drop the objects, but it's a matter of figuring out which ones. What type of replication where you using? Did you have issues with timeouts prior to trying to drop the publication?

Andy

But how do i drop the publication on the subscriber,,, and if which objects do i drop...

Because when i try to drop the objects it gives me the error that "the subscription is published for replication.."

Moreover this timeout error does not appear always.. sometimes it also drops the replication on the web server...

John

• Transactional replication?

Andy

• quote:

Transactional replication?

Andy

Hi Andy

I cant use transactional replication bcause,, transactional repli. didnt provide me with TWO WAY REPLICATION.. (meaning i want such a replication where data can freely flow from the web server to multiple client machines and from multiple client machines to the web server)...

But in case of transactional repli. when i configure my client machine as a publisher/distributor and the web server as a subscriber and i push the data from the publisher to the subscriber,, data gets successfully transfered and updated on the web server, but then no data entry can be allowed on the web sql server using enterprise manager,, query analyser or via the browser,, the database gets locked and data entery into the database can be allowed only through the TRANSACTIONAL REPLICATION PROCESS..

If you have some way by which i can configure TWO WAY REPLICATION using TRANSACTIONAL REPLICATION,, THEN please guide me on this...

John

• quote:

Transactional replication?

Andy

Hi Andy

I cant use transactional replication bcause,, transactional repli. didnt provide me with TWO WAY REPLICATION.. (meaning i want such a replication where data can freely flow from the web server to multiple client machines and from multiple client machines to the web server)...

But in case of transactional repli. when i configure my client machine as a publisher/distributor and the web server as a subscriber and i push the data from the publisher to the subscriber,, data gets successfully transfered and updated on the web server, but then no data entry can be allowed on the web sql server using enterprise manager,, query analyser or via the browser,, the database gets locked and data entery into the database can be allowed only through the TRANSACTIONAL REPLICATION PROCESS..

If you have some way by which i can configure TWO WAY REPLICATION using TRANSACTIONAL REPLICATION,, THEN please guide me on this...

John

• You can do this with transactional - take a look at the immediately updating subscribers option (and maybe even the queued updates option). Immediately updating basically puts triggers on all your tables and forces changes to be made as a transaction to the publisher. With queued updates, if the change cannot be posted to the publisher, it will queue the change and apply it later, which is handy if you need to take your main box down but not have the site down too.

Or, you could just have your developers code to make updates to the publisher always. Or emulate the immediately updating idea only in places where it matters. If you're feeling very bold, you could do bi-directional, which involves setting up transactional on each box replicating to the other.

This is fun technology, but Im not sure we're helping with your original question?

Andy

• Try running this stored procedure to remove the replication set-up from the web server:

"sp_removedbreplication".

AmitM

AmitM

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply