Removing the Builtin Administrators - Some Pitfalls to Avoid

• So, I didn't read these type posts before deleting the Builtin\Admin group. Now our third-party backup process is crying for failure to login as "NT Authority\SYSTEM". Should I just re-add the Builtin\Admin or just give sysadmin rights to nt authority\system or is it pretty much the same? Thanks.

Chris

• Add NT Authority\SYSTEM and grant it the appropriate rights. You probably have netbackup or the like running its agent service as the local system account. That is preferable to re-adding BUILTIN\Administrators if you can help it.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Great! Thanks, Brian.

• Christopher G.S. Johnson (6/2/2008)

So, I didn't read these type posts before deleting the Builtin\Admin group. Now our third-party backup process is crying for failure to login as "NT Authority\SYSTEM". Should I just re-add the Builtin\Admin or just give sysadmin rights to nt authority\system or is it pretty much the same? Thanks.

Chris

maybe you'd be better off making the tools service account a registered "backup admin" for your instance, in stead of the spooky builtin set.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• As ALZDBA points out--It is better to create a windows account for the service to run under than NT Authority\SYSTEM. Granting permission to NT Authority\SYSTEM gives "any" service or application, running under that context, the same rights to the SQL Server and there is even less tracability than BUILTIN\Administrators.

• John Dennis (6/2/2008)

As ALZDBA points out--It is better to create a windows account for the service to run under than NT Authority\SYSTEM. Granting permission to NT Authority\SYSTEM gives "any" service or application, running under that context, the same rights to the SQL Server and there is even less tracability than BUILTIN\Administrators.

Depending on the 3rd party backup software, though, that may not be a supported configuration. We've hit that wall ourselves. The local SYSTEM does have some implicit rights that even the local Administrators group on the server doesn't.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• With that said, and us only getting an error message for the VSS service, not being able to log-in with the NT AUthority\SYSTEM, I guess it would be best to just have the VSS service log-in with some Windows account. Thanks all.

Chris

• If it's Volume Shadow Copy, I'm not sure what supported configuration there is with respect to service accounts. I know in the past you couldn't run Full Text with anything other than the System account. Thankfully, that was changed in SQL Server 2005. You may want to verify that, first.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Kathi,

A question I have is this about removing BUILTIN\Administrators from Security->Logins on SQL Server [2005] instance.

If I remove this account from Logins, but the domain users remain as Local\Administrator on the box where SS instance is, are the users able to login the instance and remain a sysadmin? I would assume unless you add their domain users account directly to Logins, then NO, but just wanted to check.

Thanks,

Zee - Atlanta

Accidental DBA

• ZeeAtl (2/22/2010)

Kathi,

A question I have is this about removing BUILTIN\Administrators from Security->Logins on SQL Server [2005] instance.

If I remove this account from Logins, but the domain users remain as Local\Administrator on the box where SS instance is, are the users able to login the instance and remain a sysadmin? I would assume unless you add their domain users account directly to Logins, then NO, but just wanted to check.

Thanks,

Zee - Atlanta

Accidental DBA

Zee,

Only the logins enumerated in the sysadmin server role will have sysadmin access so if Local\Administrator is not listed then you are good to go.

EXEC sp_helpsrvrolemember 'sysadmin'

I do have to ask (or rather you should ask yourself) why would "Domain users" need any administrator rights? Especially local.

John D

• ZeeAtl (2/22/2010)

Kathi,

Thanks,

Zee - Atlanta

Accidental DBA

No, you'll first have to add them to your sqlinstances sysadmin role.

Your assumption is correct.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Kathi,

While we are on the topic of SQL Server instance Logins, I have another question.

My SSIS service Logins for two separate SQL Server instances are set to:

NT AUTHORITY\Network Service

Can I change this service Login to a plain domain user account as well? Any special Group Policy properties required for SSIS execution (that are automatically set for Network Service built-in account)?

I'd like to change this as well to get that out of the Logins for the server.

Thanks,

Zee

• from SQL 2005, I found that the most safe method is to create one more account with sysadmin righ t and then deny the access of builtin\Administrator account to SQL server 2005. Don't know why SQL do'nt allow to remove it directly but has to grant deny first.

Then login using the new login and delete it.

DBA100

• Kathi,

What is the deny step for BuiltIn\Administrators (T-SQL), or SSMS? Can you give me

specific example of what you've done?

Thanks,

Zee,

Atlanta

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply