remote connectivity/standard edition

• Sounds to me that you're now actually talking to the server (meaning - we've managed to get the error to change).

18452 in a "pure windows" mode can be a problem if the SQL Server service account doesn't have certain permissions. Here is the TID link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/840219/en-us

More likely than not - it's the "impersonate a client after authenticate" that's goofing you right now, but they're ALL important (at different phases of processing).

Now - the other "big" reason for this error is because you should be in mixed mode (meaning - the application is trying to connect using a SQL account, and the server doesn't allow that in its current config).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• that error was from yesterday. here is the new error after i created an alias:

TITLE: Connect to Server

------------------------------

Cannot connect to WINSERV1.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - No such host is known.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 11001)

• what did you put in to define the alias, field by field?

What settings do you have (field by field) in the TCPIP settings under

SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration Settings, Protocols for {instancename}?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• When you create a named instance you should connect as as servername\instancename, so you should try servername\WINSERV1

Additionally, have you tried to connect to the server with the specified port?

ie. servername\WINSERV1,1433 (Use whatever port you are using)

• sorry guys. im back to the error where i can connect but dont have the permissions.

TITLE: Connect to Server

Cannot connect to winserv1.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Login failed for user ''. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18452)

ive been told that if im not connecting to a domain, i have to use sql auth and logon with a username and password. do i need to reinstall to specify a username and password?

• you created an SA account when you setup the instance. Login using sa and setup a sql login for yourself.

• I believe the issue is that the server has not been set up to allow remote connections (what we used to call mixed mode in sql 2000, right?)

i think you just need to make sure this is checked under Server Properties>> Connections

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Lowell,

andrewbrinker stated that he used surface area config. to allow remote connections via tcp. Shouldn't surface area conf update this setting when it implements the change to allows remote connections?

• i just checked properties, i am allowing remote connections. i have gone into the security policy and added the administrator to the policies, the windows user object couldnt be found. still no connection. ill try to log into the sa account and create a user for sql auth. i do that from the server, right? is there a default password for sa?

• If you chose mix mode authentication, you should have been prompted to create a password.

login using sa and the password.

If you chose windows authentication, the sa is disabled by default.

Someone with more rights will have to login. Anyone in the builtin\administrators group can get into the instance and create a login. If this is going to be your instance and database, you can have your windows login added to this group.

below is an article displaying how to change authentication methods.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188670.aspx

• im in with sql auth. thanks everyone for all your help

• glad to hear it. Good luck with everything.

Adam

• andrewbrinker (10/12/2007)

im in with sql auth. thanks everyone for all your help

i used management studio -> Browse for Servers -> Network Servers, but i cannot see the server that i want to connect...

can explain to me how you in with sql auth?

i still cannot make it :crazy:

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply