remote connection error to SQL2005

• I am trying to connect to a remote 2005 SQL server “A” from my 2005 SQL Server Management Studio on a different network. I have opened up port 1433 on the remote server A. I have made sure that “Allow remote connections to this server” is checked on the remote server properties under connections. I have also chosen “Using both TCP/IP and named pipes” under Remote Connections in the SQL Server 2005 Surface Area Configuration.

I am using \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\sqlservername and user sa to connect. I get the following error: “An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to the SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 5 – Invalid parameter(s) found) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error:87)”

If I take out the \\ from the server path I get an error that the server not found. So I think I am getting to the server.

I have run SQL profiler and there is no event or failed login on the remote server when I try to connect to SQL server A. SQL Server A is on Windows2003 with all current patches. I have tried connecting from Windows XP pro and Windows2003 server.

Is this a network issue, Windows2003 issue, or a SQL issue?

David Ekren

• Hi,

I think that how you describe the server name as \\serverIP\SQLservername that it could be the named instance.

You connect to the named instance as servername\instancename without \\

also port UDP 1434 should be open

Also, try to create an alias with Named Pipes and use it for connection. Go to SQL Server Configuration Manager, SQL Native Client Configuration, check Client Protocols so both TCP/IP and Named Pipes are enabled an then click aliases and create a couple: one with TCP/IP and one with Named Pipes. Try them both. This is on the client computer.

Check just in case that SQL Server Browser service is enabled and started (on the server)

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• I used ServerIP\SQLservername and opened up port 1434. Still get same exact error. Any other ideas? Thank you for any more help.

David Ekren

• David,

Did you try to create an old good Data Source?

Can you ping the server from your client?

This error that you posted is from Named Pipes (the error message says so ). Try to create tcp/ip alias.

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Is the listener service started? Otherwise the client does not know which port the instance is using. Is the port the instance is using open in the firewall?

Can you access the server using TCP/IP instead of named pipes?

• For some reason the listener service had stopped. Problem solved. Thanks everyone!

David Ekren

• Now that's interesting.  I got the same error connecting to a Virtual Server, but it resolved itself overnight.  A mystery to me.  (See my thread SQL 2005 on Virtual Server connection failure ).  I'm connecting fine today and didn't do a thing 🙂

• Some times programs like personal firewall, antivirus programs may give problem while connection. Disble them and try

V.Kadal Amutham

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply