Remote access to named instance

• I try to connect from a pc to a SQL Server on another pc. Both pc’s are in a workgroup. I want to connect from a Windows Forms application to a named instance on the other computer. By now I have been able to connect from one pc to SQL Server on the other with tcp:smurfin, 52782.

I want to be able to use servername\instancename (instead of portnumber) to make a connection in a Windows Forms application.

I’ve checked / tried te following:

•In the properties of the instance, tab Connections, the option Allow Remote Connections is enabled

•In Configuration Manager: TCP is enabled

•The service SQL Server Browser is started

•On the tab IPAddresses, in the section IPAll, there is NO portnumber for TCP Port. And TCP Dynamic Ports has the nummer 52782

•I have created un inbound rule for port 52782 and also for 1434 (SQL Server Browser). And to be on the save side: a rule for 1433 as well.

•Restarted the service

If I run the following code in SQL Server, that same port number (52782) is returned:

EXEC xp_ReadErrorLog 0, 1, N'Server is listening on', N'any', NULL, NULL, 'DESC'

GO

SELECT local_tcp_port

FROM sys.dm_exec_connections

WHERE session_id = @@SPID

GO

DECLARE @portNumber NVARCHAR(10)

EXEC xp_instance_regread

@rootkey = 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE',

@key = 'Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib\Tcp\IpAll',

@value_name = 'TcpDynamicPorts',

@value = @portNumber OUTPUT

SELECT [Port Number] = @portNumber

GO

What else can I do?

• Have you tried creating an alias on your SQL Native Client configuration on the machine you are connecting from?

• No, but that is not necessary for connection, is it?

• Nope, if your SQL browser is running and you have enabled TCP/IP for SQL server protocols and set them to listen to all.. you should be fine, without port number.

• Do you have a firewall between the servers?

Maybe allow the ports on them.

• Like stated in my case above, SQL Browser service is started, and there are inbound rules in the firewall for the ports

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply