Remote access Error to SQL 2005/Cannot generate SSPI context.

• I have just created a new SQL 2005 Server that I am not able to get access to remotely with SQL Server Management Studio.

What I have is a domain account with Admin Privileges on the domain. On the SQL Server I have the services set to log on with a domain account. This Domain account is starting the following services:

SQL Server

SQL Server Agent

SQL Server Analysis Service

SQL Server Browser

SQL Server Full Text search

SQL Server Integration Services

SQL Server Reporting Service

If I try and access the DB with SSMS and use SQL Server Authentication I am able to access the DB. But when I try and use Windows Authentication I get this error.

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 28 - Server doesn't support requested protocol) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -1)

But when I go in to configure manager and enable Named Pipe it I can use both types for login. The problem is that when I do that I can no longer use the Maintenance Plan because I get this Error:

------------------------------

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An OLE DB error 0x80004005 (Cannot generate SSPI context) occurred while enumerating packages. A SQL statement was issued and failed.

------------------------------

An OLE DB error 0x80004005 (Cannot generate SSPI context) occurred while enumerating packages. A SQL statement was issued and failed.

I have tried:

regsvr32 msxml6.dll

regsvr32 msxml3.dll

to register the DLL but I am still getting the same error.

I am not sure what to do so that I will not need to use Named Piped, or even if that will fix the Cannot generate SSPI context issue. Any suggestions what to look at would be great.

thanks,

Gabicus

• I believe you need to either register the SPNs for the new service account manually, or grant the service account permission to do this by itself.

It needs the permission to read / write serviceprincipalname

check out http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811889

Scroll down to:

"How to configure the SQL Server service to create SPNs dynamically for the SQL Server instances"

• We experienced a similar issue today where the user would receive an error: "Cannot Generate SSPI Context". On the server side, the error generated was: SSPI handshake failed with error code 0x8009030c while establishing a connection with integrated security; the connection has been closed.

The cause of this was the password had expired for the the user that was trying to access the SQL Server. Once she changed her password she was able to connect to remote instances of SQL Server again with her windows account.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply