Refer to calculated field in expressions?

• Hi all,

Using SQL Server 2000.  Can I refer to a calculated field name from an expression within the SELECT statement?

For example:

SELECT

QTY,

COST,

TOTAL = QTY * COST,

NEW_TOTAL = TOTAL * 1.05

FROM ORDERS

My specific query (different than above) returns results when I have only the the first calculated field (TOTAL) but does *not* execute when I create the NEW_TOTAL expression and reference the TOTAL field.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Jason

• I don't believe it is directly possible. I'm assuming the computations for the real TOTAL are either intensive enough or complicated enough that you don't want to reperform them. Given that I can think of two ways to end up with the same net results. If the concern is not performance then a function could be used, but the computation would still be performed twice. If the computation is already a heavy hitter (because it IS a complicated function or a subselect or the like) then you can use a temp table to hold the initial results and then pull the data out of that.

DECLARE @Temp table ( Qty int, Cost money, Total money )

INSERT INTO @Temp

SELECT QTY,

COST,

TOTAL = QTY * COST,

FROM ORDERS

SELECT *, New_Total = Total * 1.05

FROM @Temp

• You cannot refer to a calculated column like in that way, it is not possible.

Try either:

SELECT

QTY,

COST,

TOTAL = QTY * COST,

NEW_TOTAL = QTY * COST * 1.05

FROM

ORDERS

SELECT

QTY,

COST,

TOTAL,

NEW_TOTAL = TOTAL * 1.05

FROM

( SELECT

QTY,

COST,

TOTAL = QTY * COST

FROM

ORDERS ) calct

/rockmoose

You must unlearn what You have learnt

• Thanks. Your plan B is what I was trying to do but forgot to name my resultset (calct). I reverted to the @Temp table when I couldn't figure out how to do that.

• You're welcome,

Well next time you will remember to alias your derived table 🙂

/rockmoose

You must unlearn what You have learnt

• Thank you both for your helpful advice.

-Jason

• Another option for this situation is to create a User Defined Function (UDF) to do the initial calculations and then refer to the UDF results in the final calculations

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply