Reducing Log File Size from 50GB

• I have a database that is currently using 50GB, 25GB DB, 25GB log file.

The DB is set to simple mode and doesn't need to be changed and I do a full backup once a night.

However when I run the Disk Usage report (DB > Reports > Standard Reports > Disk Usage ) it always seems to show 99% of un-uunused file space.

I do run a lot of jobs in the middle of the night, reports that use tempDB etc but I have no idea where to find the "max used log file space" so that I can reduce the size of the log file appropriately. It must be using it during transactions so I need a report to show the max size reached if possible as it obviously doesn't need 25GB.

Also I am considering moving away to the free Express DB to put the system that is currently on a standard DB to a cloud based hosting service.

I can handle not having MS Agent as I am only requiring it for a .NET Windows Service (BOT) to run on the server and store data in a DB but the problem is the 10GB size limit. I could split the system up into multiple DB's and set them to trustworthy and then link them all together in the stored procs if I had to but I would rather find the cause of the massive log file if possible as if it at one stage during my nightly jobs it does use a lot of space I need to find out about it.

Does anyone have a script to show the sizes over time - I suppose I could use a timed job and log the space to a table every minute but I was wondering if there was a DMV combo SQL that would show me the same thing without having to write my own code.

Thanks for any help in advance.

• Sorry just realised this is currently an SQL 2005 DB not SQL 2008 but I am using the 2008 Management Studio to connect to it from my PC.

Also I am hoping to use SQL 2012 Express when I move to a cloud based service.

• Rob Reid-246754 (7/30/2012)

Does anyone have a script to show the sizes over time - I suppose I could use a timed job and log the space to a table every minute but I was wondering if there was a DMV combo SQL that would show me the same thing without having to write my own code.

No DMV, the code you suggest is about the best. The % free comes from DBCC SQLPERF(LOGSPACE)

You'll probably find that when indexes are rebuilt is the time that the log file gets almost full.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • So are you suggesting I run an MS Agent job to fire that DBCC proc every minute around the time of the backup and store the results into a database table for looking at later?

• That works. Maybe every 5 min all day long.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• You can also check the values from the performance counters:

select *

from sys.dm_os_performance_counters

where object_name = 'SQLServer:Databases'

and counter_name in ('Percent Log Used', 'Log File(s) Size (KB)')

• Gazareth (7/30/2012)

You can also check the values from the performance counters:

select *

That's actually way easier than what I suggested. Use perfmon and set that counter up and let the perfmon trace run for a day or two.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (7/30/2012)

Gazareth (7/30/2012)

You can also check the values from the performance counters:

select *

That's actually way easier than what I suggested. Use perfmon and set that counter up and let the perfmon trace run for a day or two.

Ha, I didn't make the next logical step from there, as you've suggested Gail - just use perfmon instead 🙂

• Ok, looks like a timed log check then.

Thanks for your help

• Err, no. See the last suggestion I made re perfmon. Much easier than a scheduled job.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply