Recommendations for TFS organization structure for DBAs only

• Sorry for the misuse of terms. I'm new to source control.

Does anyone have recommendations for TFS organization structure for DBAs only?

Should our source folder pathing be?

$\DBA\username?

$\DBA\Servername\Database_name?

$\DBA\Servername\Database_name\Project?

We thought we try the TFS because we have MSDN subscriptions and have a enough licenses to support the DBA team.

We have 500+ SQL servers and 50-100 DBs on each server. We were thinking many of the DBs are third party and we wouldn't need to source control those DBs. But any DBs we do customization or are built and maintenance by us we would want it in TFS server correct?

• My advice would be to look at TFS no differently than a share out on a file server. Think about each database as a folder. Its subfolders will be tables, stored procedures, views, etc. Then, think about how you would logically organize those folders on your file server. The one caveat is that moving folders around in TFS won't be as easy as moving folders around on a share. So, just get that structure figured out before you start putting things into TFS. DBPro's schema compare should make it relatively easy to pull the structure into a Database Project, and get it into TFS.

So, if your databases are unlikely to change servers, I like:

$\DBA\Servername\DatabaseName or $\DBA\Servername\Department\DatabaseName

And yes, one of the advantages of TFS is having history of who changed what when, so no real value in adding 3rd party databases.

Rick Krueger

Follow @dataogre

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply