RDL files on Report Server

• We create our reports in SSRS and use TFS as our version control tool. We used to have a folder on the server were the .rdl files resided, in addition to the local version each report developer created/edited etc. The folder got deleted by accident a few days ago. Report are running, but what we are seeing at least one report with some issue -  wrong format, bad data, and wrong report name format (the old title is would have had in the past).

I read on line that the .rdl file does not reside on the server, but instead is in the [dbo].[Catalog] table as XML. Not sure why our rdl were being saved additionally in a separate folder, but it was.

I have 2 questions to begin with:

1.) If the folder with a copy of the .rdl files (that we use to have on the D drive of our server) is gone, would that have any adverse impact on the reports that are running? I need to know if I have to take action to replace the missing rdl folder/file on the server or if having that data in the database table will be acceptable.

1 a.) If we do have to rebuild the folder, How do I figure out what the folder path name and location should be?

2.) Has anyone see where a report will all of a sudden have the wrong output title, data sections stacked in the incorrect order, and WTD data repeating the same numbers several days in a row.?

Note: I checked the last updated date for the report in Report Manager and compared that to my local .rdl and they match. When I open the .rdl to see if the data sections are out of order there is nothing wrong with the TFS version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• You're correct, the report .rdl files are stored in the Content column of ReportServer.dbo.Catalog. None of our few SSRS deployments have .rdl files stored in folders on their drives, and I haven't heard of this practice.

I believe your second issue is unrelated to deleting the report rdl files from disk. If you were to publish an old version of the report (by retrieving the old copy from of the report from Visual Studio / SSDT) then it would deploy it with the old filename and contents as described. I can't think of any other situations that could cause this behavior, besides restoring the entire ReportServer database to an earlier version. That also doesn't explain the last changed date in SSRS being the same as that in the known good copy of the report from source code.

If you wanted to go deeper on this, you could perhaps look at the database backups of the ReportServer database to see when/if the Catalog.ItemName and Catalog.ItemPath reverted to the old versions.

Andrew P.

• Hi Andrew,

Thank you for getting back to me. I'm so relieved to hear I do not have to rebuild the folder. I deleted the .data file for that report and re-uploaded the local rdl I had to see if that helped. So far I can confirm it fixed 2 of the 3 issues. Tomorrow, once I have more WTD data, I should know if it is really fixed.

Again - thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply